Future crisis in Japanese bladesmithing?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannynyc

Reaction score
Apologies if this is miscategorized.

I was recently in touch with a reputable vendor inquiring into long wait times for a certain well-known Japanese blademaker. The vendor explained that long periods without stock are common, not only because of the exacting standards of the maker, but also because, as the vendor put it, there are a very small number of people working at each maker who are, for the most part, getting on in years, and that there are very few young blacksmiths these days in Japan and even fewer young people who want to become blacksmiths.

If true, does this mean we're in a golden age of Japanese knives, that we shouldn't expect to see as many high-quality knives coming out of Japan in, say, 10 years, and that we should be hoarding them while we can?

Of course, if this is all true, it's balanced by the fact that there are an increasing number of excellent knife producers in the West, but until now their prices are out of reach of many.

This might be true to a certain extent, but there are plenty young and promising smiths atm, and lots of them in apprenticeship. Look at Konosuke, Masakage, Shigefusa's both sons etc.

This might be true to a certain extent, but there are plenty young and promising smiths atm, and lots of them in apprenticeship. Look at Konosuke, Masakage, Shigefusa's both sons etc.
The comment was actually made in reference to Konosuke. What is the story there, if you know?

The prosumer cooking market is growing like mad and with that the demand for high quality gear which also puts pressure on supply.

Other not old blacksmiths worth noticing are Shigeki Tanaka and Yamawaku. I don't know how old is the blacksmith behind Itinomonn brand, but I believe he's also not that old.

Personally I don't think there would be a problem to get decent Japanese knife from Japan in 10 or even 20 years. As long as demand exists, there would be some blacksmiths.

Shigeki just turned 37 a few days ago. Imagine his knives in 20 years.

I'd imagine that as demand rises , more youngsters may start treating it as a profession too.

Shinichi Watanabe is also quite young and IMHO also belongs belongs in the list of the high quality makers.

Stefan

The Yamamotos (Yoshikane Hamono) are in their 40s.

Mitsumi Hinoura is young, as is Shinchiro Yamamoto (Hide)

I am really digging my Yamawaku, it's my go to knife. Highly recommended

I am really digging my Yamawaku, it's my go to knife. Highly recommended

I gifted mine to a friend for his birthday last year. I see prices are going up I should order a 240mm gyuto before they get spendy. Too bad 330mate is the only vendor.

Back