Masamoto KA 0430, any comments?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCG

Reaction score
This knife is sold by Korin as HMA-AHYA.

It is calling to me ... does anyone here have one, and care to comment?

I have one, don't have the opportunity to use it as much as I'd like, but my experience with it has been very positive. Any specific questions?

I have one, don't have the opportunity to use it as much as I'd like, but my experience with it has been very positive. Any specific questions?

Not really, I already have a Tanaka yanagiba, but I am being seduced by the idea that the Masamoto is significantly "better" in that they seem to be widely used among the guys who use them to make their living. I am still vacillating, and am going to try to restrain myself until the Korin Summer Sale to see if the desire just leaks away, before I drop that much money.

I am an amateur all the way, but I enjoy nice things. (within reason)

Funny, I have a tanaka as well, like it too. The Masamoto as you can imagine is better F&F, and it should be for the money. i got my Mas last summer during the Korin sale and felt a little better with the discount about buying it. You certainly won't be unhappy with the Masamoto, but your wallet might be! To tell the truth, if I had a choice to do it over, I might opt for the Shirogami as opposed to the Aogami - but I haven't checked the price difference in awhile - last I did I thought there was a difference in price. I'm not sure us amateurs benefit all that much from the edge retention of blue steel. I have a Masamoto KS and I can get it as sharp if not sharper than my blue steel knives. At any rate the KA 0430 is certainly a "nice thing" and you will enjoy it.

Back