Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP - Western Rehandle(s)

Dave, this is a cool WIP, and I can't wait to see how it goes on. Myself, I have two left hands, so I am admiring people who have the skills and knowledge and share it with others. You have my sincerest respect!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Oh your knife is all done.

You're a twisted twisted man

So for today's work....

I managed to get the wood mounted and epoxied up last night. Here are the knives after glue up, clamps removed.

Here I cut the gyuto handle profile from the baconwood block.

The wood is ready for shaping.

Rough shaping the wood into the form of a handle. This is the pucker part.

Both handles are rough shaped using a 36x grit belt followed by an 80x belt which you see in the pictures above. I grind the bolsters at the same time to get a flush fit.

I then go through a series of belts up to 220x.

Now to shape the curl (sometimes referred to as the bird's beak) section of the handle. Since I don't have a nice small wheel attachment for my belt grinder I have to use little drum sander spindles in the drill press.

Here is what I'm looking to achieve.

I then use sandpaper strips to (shoeshone) shape the curl (bird's beak) into a comfortable grip. This step is important since the wrap around fingers land here.

Here is what I'm after.

Now back to the grinder for some refinement, I take each handle up through to 400x. The handles are now ready for hand sanding & oiling.

The handles have been wet sanded with both fine sandpapers and then with very fine steel wool.

Now it's time to start sealing the wood through oiling. I will start this process today continuing for at least another day, maybe two, until I get just the right level of finish I'm looking for. Once that's complete I can unwrap the blades and it's time to etch. See you then.....

Wow those handles are beautiful!

Thank you for posting the photos Dave.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Very informative and inspiring photos!

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    Thank you for posting the photos Dave.
    Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    Very informative and inspiring photos!

Thanks guys, it was a fun project.

Thanks Dave, your time and effort to document the process is greatly appreciated! This is just what I need, going to be doing something similar.

Have you tried doing something to prevent the welds (I think it's welds) in front of the bolster from etching?

Quote Originally Posted by orangehero View Post
    Thanks Dave, your time and effort to document the process is greatly appreciated! This is just what I need, going to be doing something similar.

Have you tried doing something to prevent the welds (I think it's welds) in front of the bolster from etching?

I once tried doing a resist with crayon and another time with tape - both fails. I'm sure it could be figured out but I've given up on it. If you come up with something you'd like to share I'm all ears.