itk carbon petty update!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pescador

Engorged Member
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to speak w Hoss today about the carbon pettys that are being presold. We discussed narrowing the tip of the the knife and he thought it was a good idea. We also talked about handle choices. One choice was brushed wenge, which I'm going with! He seemed open to suggestions so post them if you got them.

Pesky

I think that we are going to make the tip a little more pointy than the last batch. Pesky said that it would make a more usefull knife for doing the delicate stuff.

I will use wenge for one of the choices. I have some more bocote and cocobolo also.

Hoss

Hoss i can't wait to check out the brushed wenge handle. I looked at your razor thread and saw the handles and you are right, it looks awesome! Are there 10 orders yet?

Pesky

I think that we are going to make the tip a little more pointy than the last batch. Pesky said that it would make a more useful knife for doing the delicate stuff.
Definitely.

I think that we are going to make the tip a little more pointy than the last batch. Pesky said that it would make a more usefull knife for doing the delicate stuff.

I will use wenge for one of the choices. I have some more bocote and cocobolo also.

Hoss

Well, my vote would be cocobolo since I already one knife with a bocote handle.

Hoss i can't wait to check out the brushed wenge handle. I looked at your razor thread and saw the handles and you are right, it looks awesome! Are there 10 orders yet?

Pesky

I think that we are at 8 or 9. That is enough to get started.

Hoss

Will there be a group by on your line knife as well?
And could we make the group buy in damascus AEB-L?
:)

Spoke to Hoss yesterday and he's setting up the pettys. He's planning on starting on them next week.

I know he was using brushed wenge and cocobolo....maybe he'll let use know about types of wood for handle stock he's considering.

wenge and bocote, maybe cocobolo.

Hoss

Hey Hoss, are you doing a ivory micarta bolster with the wire brushed wenge on these? I'd like that.

Hey all, talked to Devin today and pettys are on track. He's rolling out metal this week then cutting to follow.

Pesky showed up today. We made the blade for his suji. 52100, 285mm, 43mm tall, 62 hrc, convex grind.

We had a great time. We did some cutting with some of my experimental knives/steels. Talked knives, food, cooking, family etc. along with San Diego state basketball, whoot!!

Maybe when he gets home he'll have a chance to report on his trip. I think he's trying to get tk59 to come with him on the next visit.

Said that he likes the profile on the petty's.

Hoss

More on the trip later but the profile is more Mario's damascus petty. As to the ferrules, we talked about it briefly, and its still up in the air. He had a test gyuto that had a brushed wenge handle with black ferrule and it was nice. If you were on the fence about the brushed wenge I'd push you to get it. The handle's texture aids in grippiness.

Talked to DT Friday. He's got these pettys on hold for a bit.

He's making Salty's 9/11 knife, among other things. He's not that far from having them done..we should see then next month.

Seams that all custom makers got alot of customers these days :)
Im happy for Devin having so much to do. The opposite is far worse :)

how about a WIP on this Devin

Will there be an online auction as well, for those norwegian fans?

Spoke to Devin today about another knife and these came up. They've been heat treated and profiled. He's got extra help in the shop this week so they'll get worked on.

Latest posts

Back