Ideas For Knives in Damascus For Seattle Show

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I have a few bars of John Thomas 52100 & 15N20 damascus in ladder and raindrop. I am thinking of making some knives from these to take to Seattle show. So what types would likely people want to see and hopefully buy?

I was thinking to do 2x 250-260 gyuto in ladder, 2x 180-190 nakiri in rain drop, 1x 150mm honesuki in ladder, 1x210 suji in rain drop, 2x275mm suji in ladder.

Suggestions?

Thank you,

Marko

I can make any length knives, I guess 250-260 is my personal preference.

So, let's say 240mm gyuto and 260mm gyuto. Bare in mind htat I make my knvies slightly longer to factor in broken tips down the road, so the actual length on the edge will be like 247 and 267mm.

My favorite patterns are usually twist and feather. I love the look of feather sujis and twist would look great probably on the flat nakiri profile

I only have these two patterns - rain drop and ladder, sorry.

M

Does that means there are complete but unsold knives you are hiding there? I was under impression that lately any knife made by you is sold almost instantly.

The main purpose of a knife show is to promote a maker's work, so the knives I will bring to Seattle will do just that. Of course, I would like to sell all that I bring, but it might, or might not happen. What I will end up doing with unsold knives, I haven't decided yet, but two options - selling them to knife dealers at the show or offering them to KKF folks after the show, are in consideration.

I can reserve some blades for KKF folks to be picked up at the show. Those could be customized to their liking. Other knives I will decide on handle material, saya, type, atc.

M

Hard to say as I don't know the knife crowd too well but it doesn't seem like that many people are producing high end honesukis. You might have luck selling more than one. Selections sounds great btw.

You know whatever you make will look and preform great and they will sell instantly. I think this thread was to make us jealous :doublethumbsup:

Make a set 3.5 inch parer, 180mm petty/Gyuto, 200mm boning, 240 Gyuto, 250 suji. If it doesn't sell I'll take it :D

OK then, 2x240mm gyuto (about 250mm on the edge), 1x180mm gyuto, 1x150mm honesuki, 2x250mm sujis, 1x275mm suji, 2x190mm nakiri. I dropped 210mm suji.

No parer or boning this time, never made one, no time to try now.

I would definitely take the 260mm Gyuto, actually 270mm would be even better. Also interested in the honesuki.

OK then, 2x240mm gyuto (about 250mm on the edge), 1x180mm gyuto, 1x150mm honesuki, 2x250mm sujis, 1x275mm suji, 2x190mm nakiri. I dropped 210mm suji.

No parer or boning this time, never made one, no time to try now.

Marko, any chances 180 gyuto would be in stainless? If so, I'd be very interested in it.

I am not sure I will have any stainless steel knives for this show, namely because I don't have any stainless on hand, and getting it and working it in time for the show might not be possible.

52100 has 1.5% chromium and is fairly pro kitchen friendly, not to mention that it gets crazy sharp and is a breeze to sharpen. My stainless is a runner up, but I won't have any knives in it till probably in June.

Marko

Another thing. Wa or Western? I will have both, but is there a preference of one over the other?

I prefer wa over western almost every time. But some knives just don't feel good without a western handle.

Here is what I plan to have:

Western
scimitar
gyuto
honesuki

Wa - D-handle, right hand use
suji
gyuto
nakiri
petty/utility
honesuki

If I have time, all wa handle knives will come with wood sayas, western handle - with leather sayas.

Back