Oyster ideas?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a ton of oysters to serve at an upcoming function. (served raw that is...no Rockefeller etc.) I like basic mignonette, but I'll need some more creative options. I'm kind of tired of the ubiquitous yuzu/uni etc. I refuse to kill them with cocktail sauce. I was thinking about pickling some things like cucumber, ginger, or peppers.....maybe some citrus. Any ideas?

Where are they from and how long have they been out of the water?

Finger limes are nice, hows the quality of the oysters you are getting and are you shucking to order?

Those are ******* awesome oysters, and the island creek people are a pleasure to work with. I don't think they need a thing. Maybe some lemon.

Also tbh its better if oyster hhave been out of water for up to 5 days in the perfect temperature. It increases quality of the oyster liquor inside .

I like rhubarb mignonette and the rhubarb is available for me at least starting in late April early may. Not sure when the event is.

Also done to death, but still good is granita. Maybe cucumber?

Those are ******* awesome oysters, and the island creek people are a pleasure to work with. I don't think they need a thing. Maybe some lemon.

Exactly. But I'm working with an expectation. Cuc granita is a nice idea.

Rami - thanks for the link. My wife and I have fond memories dining at Tetsuya's during our only trip to Australia.

I like the classics here like the spicy yuzu or red wine mignonette. Yuzu, lemon juice, laudemio evoo, tabasco s&p. For the red try equal parts aged red wine vinegar and cabernet, add minced shallots, boil, strain, chill, add back in minced raw shallot, tspn dijon, a lot of fresh cracked black pepper and finish with Kosher salt.

If it were me I'd get them out of the water and on ice for a week at least. They'll plump up nice after that they really need nothing - at least the Wellfleet oysters we get are like that. Of course if you are catering then people expect trimin's.

I like the classics here like the spicy yuzu or red wine mignonette. Yuzu, lemon juice, laudemio evoo, tabasco s&p. For the red try equal parts aged red wine vinegar and cabernet, add minced shallots, boil, strain, chill, add back in minced raw shallot, tspn dijon, a lot of fresh cracked black pepper and finish with Kosher salt.

Excellent...kicked up mignonettes. Never thought of the Laudemio in this context....it's so green and peppery it makes perfect sense.

Let's us know what you went for. :). Kinda curious how it goes

I always like the classics. Mignonette (I like to use long pepper, shallots and cabernet vin with a little chive). The finger lime is a great idea too, maybe do a little finger lime play on ceviche to top it with? Finger lime, espellette, chives, etc.

Exactly. But I'm working with an expectation. Cuc granita is a nice idea.

Rami - thanks for the link. My wife and I have fond memories dining at Tetsuya's during our only trip to Australia.

Tetsuya's oyster dressing is my all time favourite! ( I'm slightly biased as i used to work there) which is why I do a version of that recipe at our place with the addition of pickled ginger. My Restaurant is in the heart of oyster country, some of the worlds best i reckon. I like them served natural myself.

Tetsuya's oyster dressing is my all time favourite! ( I'm slightly biased as i used to work there) which is why I do a version of that recipe at our place with the addition of pickled ginger. My Restaurant is in the heart of oyster country, some of the worlds best i reckon. I like them served natural myself.

Where can I find you? Me hungry :)

Just around the corner then :D will ask about directions next time we plan something.

For hors d'oeuvres parties I like to do "oyster shooters". Shot glasses are cheap and I keep a bunch around for parties. Freshly shucked, and spiced up however, in the shot glass. No fuss no muss for the guest.

I like, lime, siracha and a cilantro leaf.

Champagne, peeled and brunoise grapes, chives, minced and well rinsed shallot, good champagne vinegar, fresh ground black pepper(not too coarse)

Or a lime jalapeno emulsion, just mince the chile, add salt, lime juice and water. Puree and thicken with xanthan.

But I admit, growing up in Kansas definitely sheltered me from oysters so my experience/love is not quite so vast.

For hors d'oeuvres parties I like to do "oyster shooters". Shot glasses are cheap and I keep a bunch around for parties. Freshly shucked, and spiced up however, in the shot glass. No fuss no muss for the guest.

I like, lime, siracha and a cilantro leaf.
Sounds good..

Have a ton of oysters to serve at an upcoming function. (served raw that is...no Rockefeller etc.) I like basic mignonette, but I'll need some more creative options. I'm kind of tired of the ubiquitous yuzu/uni etc. I refuse to kill them with cocktail sauce. I was thinking about pickling some things like cucumber, ginger, or peppers.....maybe some citrus. Any ideas?

I'm so glad I live in town where we can get great oysters served naked, and the clientele is perfectly happy with this. Because I get grumpy when somebody messes with my oysters :spankarse:

cucumber & ginger brunoise, , microplaned fresh horseradish, cucumber juice, sambal, seasoned rice vinegar and white wine (still/ sparkling, shooters choice), chives

prosecco mignonette (beaten to death but people love it, ugh!)

I lean more to just lemon.....I like tasting the differences between wellfleets, island creeks, and stonington's, etc. Same thing as you travel up the pacific coast.....the differences from San Fran (hog island) to BC and in between are amazing.

If you decide to try doing some cooked I am quite partial to steamed oysters with ginger & shallot, something similar to David Changs ginger scallion sauce, some corriander as well. Or Maybe steamed with XO sauce

When cooked, I am a sucker for the tempura oysters , with proper aioli and a hefeweizen I will eat all day

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

I made some Guiness caviar a while back that was well received.

Back