Pairing/Petty knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard in Idaho

Reaction score
First let me say I sometimes buy something just because I want it. that said

I would like a Japanese steak knife. Problem there are not many available.

I did find one by Mr Itou. At $260 it is more then I was planing on.

So have been looking at Pairing / Petty knives 80 to 20mm.

Do you think they would work well or should I forget the Japanese knife for cutting steak.

I only need one knife.

First let me say I sometimes buy something just because I want it. that said

I would like a Japanese steak knife. Problem there are not many available.

I did find one by Mr Itou. At $260 it is more then I was planing on.

So have been looking at Pairing / Petty knives 80 to 20mm.

Do you think they would work well or should I forget the Japanese knife for cutting steak.

I only need one knife.

Welcome to KKF, Richard!

One of the best knives I've used as a steak knife is a hankotsu. Misono makes one in stainless and one in carbon. Korin carries both.

http://korin.com/Misono-Molybdenum-Hankotsu_2?sc=27&category=8549937

http://korin.com/Misono-Swedish-Carbon-Steel-Hankotsu?sc=27&category=8549937

They're probably not what you're looking for, but I've really been enjoying using Global steak knives.

I've been considering commissioning a custom set for a long time now, but unless we switched to wooden plates I would probably never use them.

More recently I've taken to carving steaks on the bias and serving them pre-cut. I REALLY like this serve and so has everyone I've given it to.

Let me start off by saying that the general wisdom on steak knives is to save your money for better steaks. Chicago Cutlery Walnut Traditions is a great buy.

That said, Butch Harner is an American bladesmith who makes custom Japanese style knives. He also makes steak knives which are $180 each on his site. He takes custom orders, so you could get a Wa handle if you want, I suppose. He isn't on the approved vendor list though (I thought that he was).

Shun, Laguiole and a few others make a folding personal steak knife that you can buy individually. Also, +1 to the Hankotsu.

BTW, do yourself a favor and get a wood steak plate to go with your knife. A ceramic plate will dull a razor-edged steak knife before you can finish your meal.

If you really want some steak knives, then I think you're right on target with some petty knives. Fujiwara and Tojiro have some stainless 120mm knives in the $40 range. I think CompE's suggestion of wooden steak plates are a good idea too.

You can't go wrong with this set ! It has 2/3 you are looking for and a nice Gyuto .

http://www.**************.com/tojiro3pcset.html

There's a tojiro steak knife set you can get. I just use Opiniel pairing knives as steak knives. They work nicely.

I have a Tojiro DP in the paring, petty and gyuto and they are great knives and can't be beat for the price.

Tojiro is solid advice.

I'm sort of stuck on olive wood Laguiole. Very attractive knife but I'm not sure that's where I'd be today if I wasn't trying to match what I started with. Sadly, Laguiole, like Sabatier is all over the map, so you can't buy today something to match what you have from 5 years ago.

I picked up a set of vintage Sabatier La Guiole steak knives on the bay for about $30 shipped. They are pretty darn good too.

2d73b71164d74915ca85f5ae665a6ea4.jpg

Thanks for all of the replies.

Did not actually follow any of them but I ordered the following.

From Japanese Chef Knives

JCK Imazuma IN-1 Wa Petty 150MM.

Even if I find I don't like it as a steak knife it should be a nice knife to have.

Back