Petty suggestions/opinions on Fujiwara Teruyasu

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PuercoLibre

Reaction score
I have a couple pettys in the 130-150mm range, but I'm looking for a new one. I always have trouble trying to describe exactly what I'm looking for in a knife, but my main thing is something that will get super sharp and pass easily through most food. And I'm thinking stainless clad carbon steel is a good place to start.
I don't have tons of experience with blades of different dimensions, but I already have a Yoshikane 180mm Gyuto that's like a nicely sharpened battle ax. I do like it, but I think that thing is about 5-6mm thick at the handle, at least.
I'd like to try something a little on the thinner/laser end of the spectrum. I have no idea what the numbers are, but right now I'm looking at a Maboroshi petty from Fujiwara Teruyasu: http://www.teruyasu.net/products/detail_26.html

I think I read somewhere that this knife is made from White #1, which I have used and was shocked by how sharp it can get. That's a plus. Any thoughts on thickness, geometry, performance, edge retention, etc. with this knife?

Any other suggestions are definitely welcome.

If you are looking for a knife with the ability to pass easily through what you cut, you should be looking at the geometry of the blade, not the sharpness. A Gesshin Ginga or Suisin Inox Honyaki is likely what you are looking for. Thin blades, so much so that the edge bevel is hardly visible. Generally these type of knives are monosteel, rather than clad, although knives like Murray Carter's or Shosui Takeda's are the exception that proves the rule.

BTW, don't conflate sharpness and the ability to pass easily through food. You can get an axe sharp enough to shave with, but it won't cut a carrot cleanly.

I have Yoskikane SKD 80mm petty (stainless clad SKD core) and I have to admit I really enjoy its cutting properties. The blade is thin, but still pretty tough and strong, the edge retention is very good as well.

I also second the point made above - I have Itinomonn Butcher (thick strong knife in white #1) which can easily be made shaving sharp - but it would be very uncomfortable to cut vegetables with it.

I would seriously consider getting a laser petty, and maybe even 180-210mm just because you already have some shorter ones. I have a 210mm Gesshin Ginga stainless and it cuts like an absolute dream. It was a mind opening experience when I first got it - my first laser too - and it still impresses me. I liked it so much I got a carbon gyuto. It's stainless but the steel is good.. it takes and holds a great edge and because of how thin it is, it just glides through food. Lasers are fun :laugh:

He only has a stainless Western 180mm available (http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...inga/gesshin-ginga-180mm-stainless-petty.html ) right now, but I think that is still a really good option to consider. If you're set on carbon, I've seen him write here that he has a bunch of Ginga pettys on order but isn't sure when they're getting in. That was awhile back and I know they're busy moving into the new location. Maybe give him a week or two and he might have some more?

Another one to consider is a Konosuke Fujiyama White #1 210mm from Tosho - http://toshoknifearts.com/shop/knives/konosuke-fujiyama-white-1-petty-210mm-yew-octagonal-handle . I don't have first hand experience but AFAIK it's thicker than a 'true' laser, and is clad vs monosteel, but people seem to really like them here and the price is right.

I have a 6" Maboroshi no Meito gyuto. You are correct that's it's stainless clad white #1, and can take a screaming edge. But it's by no means a laser, and I doubt the petty would be significantly different in terms of spine thickness. I agree with Rick's post above on all points.....sounds to me that you want a thin spine as well, like the Suisin Inox.

If you are looking for a knife with the ability to pass easily through what you cut, you should be looking at the geometry of the blade, not the sharpness. A Gesshin Ginga or Suisin Inox Honyaki is likely what you are looking for. Thin blades, so much so that the edge bevel is hardly visible. Generally these type of knives are monosteel, rather than clad, although knives like Murray Carter's or Shosui Takeda's are the exception that proves the rule.

BTW, don't conflate sharpness and the ability to pass easily through food. You can get an axe sharp enough to shave with, but it won't cut a carrot cleanly.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I kind of misspoke (or mistyped) there. I am looking for a knife with different geometry than what I'm used to (the Yoshi, and a couple other kind of thickly blades). But I also place pretty high value on good steel that will get freakishly sharp. Part of it is that I want to branch out a little and learn more about different kinds of knives; the other part is that I just need a reason to get a new one :doublethumbsup:
Anyway, I appreciate the help.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I kind of misspoke (or mistyped) there. I am looking for a knife with different geometry than what I'm used to (the Yoshi, and a couple other kind of thickly blades). But I also place pretty high value on good steel that will get freakishly sharp. Part of it is that I want to branch out a little and learn more about different kinds of knives; the other part is that I just need a reason to get a new one :doublethumbsup:
Anyway, I appreciate the help.

Am I to infer that you don't believe that stainless can get "freakishly sharp"?

LOL - to continue on your original suggestion Rick, I would certainly vouch that a Suisin Inox can get 'freakishly sharp'. Not to mention many other stainless....

LOL - to continue on your original suggestion Rick, I would certainly vouch that a Suisin Inox can get 'freakishly sharp'. Not to mention many other stainless....

I think I am +2 here.

Sharpness is a product of the skill of the sharpener, far, far more than the type steel.

Back