Hattori KD - Sharpen/Etch?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menzaremba

Reaction score
Hey all---

I was one of the lucky ones that picked up one of the Hattori's (270mm Gytuo) that Koki had (for 15 seconds) last year. I had been planning on sending it to Dave Martell to be sharpened to potential and etched for more contrast. I know this might make some of you want to stab me, but it would likely still not see much (if any) use. I'm having a lovely wooden box made, and I'm going to hang it on my wall.

My question is this: How do you feel that a sharpening/etching would affect the value of the knife? I'm not planning to sell it, but I also know that life happens.

Thoughts?

no worries mate, I hang mine on the wall too. They're on a wall magnet for easy reach. If your looking for wall art, why don't you take a pick of the knife and frame it. Then you'll have wall art and functional art?

So you bought a Ferrari and you're not going to drive it?? :viking:

Actually, a really nice shot of it framed, and hung would be pretty awesome. Not just a profile shot, but one with a fancy old world backdrop, with it being used on a beaten cutting board, and some beautiful hamachi and a damascus spoon of tobiko sitting just of to the side. Damn, I want one!

Back