Quantcast
Fast Cutting 2-3k stone and 5K Synthetic - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fast Cutting 2-3k stone and 5K Synthetic

mine is the norton 8k then c12k

Engorged Member
    I like the 4k. It's no where near as muddy as the rika but the feedback is great. I was lucky to try it at Jons. I plan on using it to replace my rika.

Pesky

I still love my shapton pro 2k. Probably the best feeling stone in their lineup.

If you have a fast cutting synthetic 5k, I'm not sure a 2k is really going to do anything but add another step. Just my $0.02.

My favorite stone right now is a medium-hard #6K-rated stone by Sigma Power called the Jinzo Renge Suita. The abrasives are irregularly set into the matrix to mimic the irregular finish of a natural stone. It's now my finishing stone because of the refined but aggressive edge but it also cuts quite fast.

Where are the gesshin 4k and 20k found on jons site? I've also read he has a 10k but have been unable to find itm

Engorged Member
    Not up yet on Jons site. Probably next week.

Pesky

sorry I've been too busy to get them up... as soon as I have a chance I will get them up

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    If you have a fast cutting synthetic 5k, I'm not sure a 2k is really going to do anything but add another step...
    You have a point but it really depends on how much time you want to spend at each step and what you want your "base" edge to look like. If you want your base edge to be 4k-ish with no coarser scratches, it takes a realtively long time to do that going straight to a 5k. I don't really consider the Rika a fast 5k but more like an average 3k so that also works well.

tim0mit: call, pm or email Jon.

oops. sorry. Jon was too quick.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    My favorite stone right now is a medium-hard #6K-rated stone by Sigma Power called the Jinzo Renge Suita. The abrasives are irregularly set into the matrix to mimic the irregular finish of a natural stone. It's now my finishing stone because of the refined but aggressive edge but it also cuts quite fast.

I'd also suggest that it's fast enough to go straight there from a #1/1.2K stone. It leaves a hazy finish (definitely not mirror).

That is interesting! I bet is saves them money on manufacture too.

Where is that stone acquired?