Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NO MORE ******* Redwood!

NO MORE ******* Redwood!

Sorry folks but I've worked with the last block of red dust (redwood) today. Once again I've been shown that this stuff is sub-standard for use when attempting to make money. I'm many hours into a rehandle that just went south because the wood is not really wood, it's formed dust. Now I've got to grind the redwood off, reimburse the customer for the loss, buy another mosaic pin, lose my hours into it already, possibly risk hosing the knife (which I've already thinned!), and now re-work a whole new block of wood (again). Ugh!!!

I might take buckeye burl off the list too. There's just too much risk for me to keep playing around with this garbage.

Rant mode OFF

Dave

PS - I don't blame anyone but myself here, I know better.

Wow, even old growth and/or stabilized redwood will do that?

Quote Originally Posted by brianh View Post
    Wow, even old growth and/or stabilized redwood will do that?

Unfortunately yes.

What really gets me pissed, besides all I listed above, is that I had this one fit up tight - I mean the best fit I've ever had for a hidden tang conversion and now I've got to trash it.

I just realized that I have 3 knives here now due to have redwood installed! I'll honor these and then that's it.

Dave-sorry, sounds frustrating. Pictures would be educational, though, to understand better your experience, and subsequent statements.

I've got another piece here, I'll see if Mark will exchange it. He's listing some pretties today.

Sorry to hear what happened Dave.
    I put a little something in your Christmas stocking to help make up for the lost time and frustration.
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Quote Originally Posted by Burl Source View Post
    Sorry to hear what happened Dave.
    I put a little something in your Christmas stocking to help make up for the lost time and frustration.

Mark,
    You shouldn't have done that. I really don't blame you here. I've used so much great wood from you that you get a pass from me if a bad one were to ever come along. The fact is that this wood would probably have been fine for octagonal wa handle making, it was just that in my hands making western handles it doesn't work. I've just grown to hate redwood because it's kicked my ass so many times and I'm drawing a line in the sand on this. But you can't be held responsible for everything us end users do with the wood, we screw up plenty and we can't expect you to fix when we do. What you did speaks volumes about your character though, you have loyal customers for a reason. Thank you

Dave, I've got this Moritaka I'd like to have fixed up and rehandled with some killer redwood. What are the chances....??
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/