Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NO MORE ******* Redwood!

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Dave, I've got this Moritaka I'd like to have fixed up and rehandled with some killer redwood. What are the chances....??
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

I don't like redwood either.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Dave, I've got this Moritaka I'd like to have fixed up and rehandled with some killer redwood. What are the chances....??

Dave what about a Glestain in redwood burl? is that any better HEHE

Quote Originally Posted by Mingooch View Post
    Dave what about a Glestain in redwood burl? is that any better HEHE

You're killing me!

Cut the theatrics Dave. Ranting about wood. What have we next?

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I don't even know why I said that last post (just being dramatic), but all I will say is that I love my Martell #10 rehandled with some redwood and my daughter's Misono rehandled from the same block.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Dave, since I know little about different woods that get used for knife handles - what makes redwood (and possibly others) so unstable/unpleasant to work with? What exactly goes wrong with them?

Mmhh, surprised that this is such a general statement. I very light lace redwood burl, and I can see that being somewhat soft even after stabilizing. Sands away like nothing, and combining it with metal is a pain. On wa handles, I often find this difficult to finish to a shine. But I also have some old growth redwood that is dense and heavy, clearly denser than koa, and I would be surprised if that caused similar problems.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Dave, since I know little about different woods that get used for knife handles - what makes redwood (and possibly others) so unstable/unpleasant to work with? What exactly goes wrong with them?

What I've seen as the biggest problem with redwood is sections that literally disappear when shaping - poof - gone like a pile of dust blown away. In the case of the handle I was working on yesterday this is what happened and the section was so deep that there was nothing left to work with to fix it. I take great care when working redwood and still this happens.

The other thing that presents a problem (with soft wood in general) is trying to get the surfaces between wood and metal bits (tang, pins, bolster) to align flush. Soft wood will undercut because it wears so much faster than the metal does and sometimes there's no way to keep it from happening.