tasting for kitchen jobs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodo

Reaction score
so i did a tasting for a sous job Friday, i did 4 course ( they said 3) extra was dessert. I was making course on how i would eat during the course of the meal and using seasonal produce.
I don't think i got the gig one mishaps on my part, never really cook on french flat tops before.

How do you usually go about doing a tasting, i only done 2 so far.

Creativity is definitely important, but solid craft and skill on execution is absolutely paramount. They're certainly nerve racking, but insanely fun at the same time. The last one I did for a job I was asked to do 4-5 courses. I ended up doing 9 or 10 as I just couldn't stop. I got the job and just did another tasting to showcase the new menu for our new place opening in May. I ended up doing over 20 different items for 6 people. Yup. Extremely nerve racking, but 100% balls to the wall fun. Mind you I did it over the course pound 3 plus hours, during which I had them take a small break before the second "round".
That sh*t is mentally and physically exhausting!

The last two tasting was a stage then cook 1 or 2 dishes after, this was just full on tasting. I think i fail i am going take this one as a learning experience.

That's all you can do and should ever do. In this business it's never a failure, it's an opportunity to learn and fix.

Cheers!

I just like to see people be fundamentally solid. Not everything always works especially if you take some chances but i look for a solid foundation, time management, prep list/timeline, oranazation ect. That tells lalot about someone. If i'm hiring for an Executive Chef position (only done it once) then I want more creativity. I love to do tastings myself although its been a few years since ive done one.

Back