Quantcast
Need help picking out a Gyuto - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help picking out a Gyuto

I'm sorry, Michael, but I can very well compare the Hiromoto, Carbonext and Global as far as edge retention is concerned. I must humbly admit I've sharpened them myself, so, I won't refer to any professional sharpener as you did, but indeed, I believe the Hiromoto has a better edge retention than the Global G2!

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    I'm sorry, Michael, but I can very well compare the Hiromoto, Carbonext and Global as far as edge retention is concerned. I must humbly admit I've sharpened them myself, so, I won't refer to any professional sharpener as you did, but indeed, I believe the Hiromoto has a better edge retention than the Global G2!
    Well, I disagree. So you'll just have to agree to disagree with me. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree with you.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I'm fine with agreeing to disagree with you.
    My pleasure, Michael.

Now that the agreement issues are all sorted out, let's get back on topic.

There are good advices. I would add - drop Jon (the owner of JKI - http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com) an email and let him advice you. he is a very honest, friendly and helpful seller with huge experience and many different knives. Sometimes he even has knives for sale that are not on his webpage.

Keep in mind that knives with western handles tend to cost more than those with wa handles (purely because simple wa handles are simpler to make). If you have not tried a wa handle yet it would be worth it before you decide on the western. In particular pinch grip is usually more comfortable with wa handle.

You could also consider getting a used knife here on the forum. Maybe with a little luck you could find something like Yoshikane gyuto in SKD (semi stainless) steel. It takes amazing edge (I have 80mm petty that I call 'kitchen scaplep') and is also quite tough. Another option could be Itinomonn - there are also stainless clad ones with V2 carbon core (from Maksim @ JNS who has these hand made in Japan) and are regarded highly around here.

I just want to chime in and second this sentiment. Since I got a 240 Gesshin Ginga from Jon, it has become my go-to knife and steel. The knife holds a stupidly sharp edge, and seems to last very long indeed. Also, the thinnest of the blade mades it an absolute joy. I'm going to get a 180 Guyto to match it soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    the Gesshin Ginga White #2 which lasted a LOT longer than expected, and better than any other carbon steel gyuto that I've used.