Need help picking out a Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuhukf

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently joined Kitchen Knife Forums primarily to research and learn about knives to piece together my own knife set. I was thinking if I do my research I can piece together a quality set that will last me the rest of my life. After reading previous threads and posts though, I'm confident I'll now be hooked on purchasing and modifying knives for the rest of my life.

As far as what I have so far, I recently purchased a vintage F. Dick 8" Cleaver and an old MAC Original Series 9" Carving Knife, both from eBay.

I'm seeking advice on a Gyuto right now. I was originally set on getting a vintage sabatier (TI or K) but this forum has convinced me to go Japanese.

Here is my filled out form:

- USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

- Chef's knife

Are you right or left handed?

- Right-handed

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?

- Western

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

- 240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)

- No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?

- $150 if brand new

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

- Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

- Slicing, chopping, mincing vegetables. Trimming and portioning meat. Cutting through/breaking down melons and squash.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

- Wusthof Gourmet 8" Chef Knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)

- Pinch Grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

- Rock, Walk, Chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)

- Thinner blade, more comfortable handle and spine, less of a belly.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?

- Blade finish doesn't matter as long as the knife performs well. Handle doesn't matter as long as it's comfortable and sturdy. I do like the idea of a carbon steel knife as opposed to a stainless steel knife though.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?

- Good balance, rounded spine preferred.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?

- Less wedging, smoother rock chopping.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?

- As long as possible? 3-6 months?

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

- Yes

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

- Yes

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

- Yes, I'm sure there is more to learn than what I already know.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

- Yes, I'm currently using a cheap diamond sharpening block from Harbor Freight (200, 300, 400 and 600 grit), a fine stone (don't know the grit), and a leather strop made from an old leather belt/strap glued to a piece of wood.

Thanks for the help!

I see the Fujiwara FKM and Tojiro DP lines being recommended a lot. Do you have a personal preference? Also, what about their budget carbon versions (FKH and ITK), would you say they're better or worse than their stainless counterparts, other than the extra care required?

I can't tell you about the carbon knives you are asking about, but I have been very happy with the two Tojiro DP knives that I have. The small Gyoto has been excellent, and the Western Deba has been great. VG10 holds a good edge a long time. I would expect better edge holding from VG10 than AUS8a. Tojiro,does a great job with their VG10, and I have a number of knives in this steel.
You will get better edge holding if you use a wooden cutting board, so keep that in mind.

I wasn't impressed with the the edge retention of the Hiromoto AS. I didn't feel that it held an edge longer than my Global G2 or CarboNext.

I Also can't think of a single western knife that has a rounded spine under $150. All of the knives recommended so far don't. And, since you're concerned about fit and finish, several owners of the Tojiro DP and ITK have written about the issues with the fit and finish of these knives.

I read that rock-chopping and walking are the OP's favourite actions. Why looking for a flatter profile and harder steel?

I wasn't impressed with the the edge retention of the Hiromoto AS. I didn't feel that it held an edge longer than my Global G2 or CarboNext.
Just curious about your compairing of edge retention by so different steel types. I do believe the Hiromoto at 25 degree inclusive will retain its edge just as well as the Carbonext at 35 degree, and the Global with a fat micro- or minibevel.

Just curious about your compairing of edge retention by so different steel types. I do believe the Hiromoto at 25 degree inclusive will retain its edge just as well as the Carbonext at 35 degree, and the Global with a fat micro- or minibevel.

How is that a worthwhile and accurate comparison? If you're going to compare edge retention, they should be compared under as close to identical conditions, right?

I judged them subjectively based on my own use all after professional sharpening, and the Hiromoto did not last noticeably longer than other steels, unlike, say, the Gesshin Ginga White #2 which lasted a LOT longer than expected, and better than any other carbon steel gyuto that I've used.

It wasn't me that compared these very different blades. It was you. And saying they were all professionally sharpened doesn't impress. Any sharpener would put an extremely conservative edge on a Global. That doesn't allow you to say the edge retention of the Global equals that of a Hiromoto.

It wasn't me that compared these very different blades. It was you. And saying they were all professionally sharpened doesn't impress. Any sharpener would put an extremely conservative edge on a Global. That doesn't allow you to say the edge retention of the Global equals that of a Hiromoto.

LOL! And you're the one who doesnt believe me. You're also the one who always extolls the virtues of Hiromotos versus many other knives, knives that you've never tried.

Other knives I've found had better edge retention than the Hiromoto - Gesshin Uraku, Suisin Inox Western, Gesshin Ginga White #2 (which had even a shallower edge than the Hiromoto). The Masamoto KS had similar edge retention, which is to say, nothing special.

I've also put a shallow angle on the Global; the edge retention of the Hiromoto I had wasn't significantly better than the Global. My Global has also been thinned and is probably about as thin as a Hiromoto behind the edge.

Why don't you get a Global and compare for yourself? Or buy some other knives and compare them?

I'm sorry, Michael, but I can very well compare the Hiromoto, Carbonext and Global as far as edge retention is concerned. I must humbly admit I've sharpened them myself, so, I won't refer to any professional sharpener as you did, but indeed, I believe the Hiromoto has a better edge retention than the Global G2!

I'm sorry, Michael, but I can very well compare the Hiromoto, Carbonext and Global as far as edge retention is concerned. I must humbly admit I've sharpened them myself, so, I won't refer to any professional sharpener as you did, but indeed, I believe the Hiromoto has a better edge retention than the Global G2!

Well, I disagree. So you'll just have to agree to disagree with me. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree with you. :)

Now that the agreement issues are all sorted out, let's get back on topic.

There are good advices. I would add - drop Jon (the owner of JKI - http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com) an email and let him advice you. he is a very honest, friendly and helpful seller with huge experience and many different knives. Sometimes he even has knives for sale that are not on his webpage.

Keep in mind that knives with western handles tend to cost more than those with wa handles (purely because simple wa handles are simpler to make). If you have not tried a wa handle yet it would be worth it before you decide on the western. In particular pinch grip is usually more comfortable with wa handle.

You could also consider getting a used knife here on the forum. Maybe with a little luck you could find something like Yoshikane gyuto in SKD (semi stainless) steel. It takes amazing edge (I have 80mm petty that I call 'kitchen scaplep') and is also quite tough. Another option could be Itinomonn - there are also stainless clad ones with V2 carbon core (from Maksim @ JNS who has these hand made in Japan) and are regarded highly around here.

I just want to chime in and second this sentiment. Since I got a 240 Gesshin Ginga from Jon, it has become my go-to knife and steel. The knife holds a stupidly sharp edge, and seems to last very long indeed. Also, the thinnest of the blade mades it an absolute joy. I'm going to get a 180 Guyto to match it soon.
the Gesshin Ginga White #2 which lasted a LOT longer than expected, and better than any other carbon steel gyuto that I've used.

Latest posts

Back