Konosuke nakiri vs...?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XooMG

Reaction score
So these days I'm toying around with the idea of getting yet another nakiri. I've got a Takeda, which I like but haven't quite nailed down the bevel convexity to balance its excellent nonstick characteristics with good "fall through". It's good but not awesome in terms of resistance while cutting.

(actually the term "fall through" might not accurately describe what I want, which is the ability to go through an ingredient with a gentle push cut or slice, rather than a solid chop)

I've got an Itinomonn kurouchi nakiri, which sticks quite badly to raw carrots, but would probably cut well otherwise. My Asai stainless-clad nakiri is similar, but with a flatter geometry. It looks and feels like it should just slip through stuff, but I cut lots of raw carrots and a fair amount of potatoes and similar sticky veg, and unless I'm hammering away at the board which I hate doing, the knives get stuck and require a good bit of force to make it through. In a raw carrot, stiction seems to hinder the cutting as much as wedging does.

My preference is for something a bit on the thinner side, and an ideal one would probably have a stepped bevel to improve food release (I know Will Catcheside and Takeda have done or do a concave body and flat/convex edge, but don't know of others). Though the Konosuke nakiri (HD/white/HH) lack the latter grind, they appeal to me quite a bit. I also have considered the Fujiyama blue model, though I do not know if they'd handle thick (6cm) carrots as well as the thinner models. I'd like to consider some knives with nashiji finishes like the Masakage Yuki, or a Kaneyoshi I saw on Rakuten, but I do not know about their cutting characteristics.

Would any of these nakiri be suited to slow/gentle cutting of raw carrots, or would they encounter stiction, wedging, or other problems? Anyone have any better recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Hmm. I can run through some carrots tonight with my Kono Fujiyama nakiri and let you know how that shapes up.

Hmm. I can run through some carrots tonight with my Kono Fujiyama nakiri and let you know how that shapes up.
Cheers. I actually need to get in touch with a Taiwan distributor for Konosuke to see if I can even get one, but they have some appeal to me. The Fujiyama are especially attractive, but I'm wondering if the monosteel versions are more appropriate.

Len, are there any chances you could make a short video with cutting session? Seems like you have (or had) lots of differents nakiri's and it would be nice to see them in action.

I took some quick videos with my phone, but I haven't checked them yet to see how they turned out.

Overall in terms of carrots & potatoes with the Kono Fuji nakiri - no wedging at all, a little more resistance at times than I'd like (but this is using an unopened edge), and quite a bit of stiction up the side especially with potatoes. I only used regular carrots, not the mondo-gigantor carrots, but I don't *think* there would be any wedging issues.

I took some quick videos with my phone, but I haven't checked them yet to see how they turned out.

Overall in terms of carrots & potatoes with the Kono Fuji nakiri - no wedging at all, a little more resistance at times than I'd like (but this is using an unopened edge), and quite a bit of stiction up the side especially with potatoes. I only used regular carrots, not the mondo-gigantor carrots, but I don't *think* there would be any wedging issues.

Interesting, thanks. Seems I'll have to keep searching for the right nakiri, but I look forward to the video nevertheless, if you can post it.

Back