New Orleans Places To Check Out

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lanel

Reaction score
Im headed down to NOLA for jazzfest at the end of the month and was wondering if anyone has suggestions as to where to hit for food, drink, etc.

Well, I'll give it a shot. It's been a year or so since I've been back so I'm sure the posters living there will give better advice than I can. I also spent Jazz Fest in a kitchen, so I don't know the best tips as far as reservation and whatnot. We were always picked to the gills and I'm sure that's the case with most restaurants. It was a lot of fun though.

As far as drinking, there is no shortage of bars and I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding places. There's generally not much of a point to make plans in New Orleans (in my experience), things are have way of happening on their own.

Coquette is my favorite restaurant in New Orleans, although I worked there - but I don't say that about all the places I've worked at. I recommend getting the 3 course lunch or 5 course dinner.

Domenica is a good option, especially for their happy hour. Jacque Imo's for an experience you'll only find in New Orleans. Cochon or Cochon Butcher are two other good options. Boucherie is another restaurant that I like but it is in a similar vein to Coquette/Patois/La Petit Grocery - all good places IMO.

If you want to get out of the city for a little while and have a car, Nine Roses on the Westbank serves incredible Vietnamese food and was some of the best dining experiences I had down there.

I don't know if it's worth going out of your way for, but if you're Uptown I always liked the oyster bar @ Pascal's Manale and their BBQ shrimp is iconic.

Parkway for their po'boys. Casamento's for their oyster loaf. Cake Cafe for their fish & grits. Jerk chicken on Frenchman St late night. Brother's Fried Chicken when you're drunk & downtown.

Have fun :doublethumbsup:

Also keep in mind that if you did not make resos this time last year you may only have 4-5 or 10-11 available

I think it's kind of a weird move to be honest. There are just so many great Vietnamese options in the area, it's puzzling to me why they would go that route.

That said, anyone I knew who spent time working for Chef Mike at August always had great, great things to say about him. I never heard a bad word about him as a chef or a person. Him and the chef at La Provence are supposed to be gangsters in the kitchen and I always wanted to stage at their restaurants. So I wish him all the success.

I haven't, because it isn't convenient to my house, and the best Mexican in New Orleans is close to it, and that always sucks me in if I'm in the neighborhood. I've heard good things though and know people who have worked with the gulotta bros. Some folks I know are opening a legit Filipino place nearby so I'll have one more distraction. I have to get out there.

Back