Quantcast
another "project knife"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: another "project knife"

another "project knife"

Probably not the project knife that most of you expected to see here, but I already had this knife for a few years now, so why not?

Ikea 365+ Gnistra 160mm long. 12$ new.

After getting some decent Japanese knives, I completely forgot about this one. It was hidden somewhere in the drawer for several month. So I decided to make some fun out of it.

Some basic reprofiling and rehandling.

…steel needs some polishing and thinning of tip, but it was a fun small project for me.
    Also this is probably my first western styled handle with hidden tang construction.

Nice mate! Any in progress shots? Particularly how you did the hidden tang? I'm doing a repair/re-handle job on the mother-in-law's boning knife that only has a tiny stub of a tang and will be doing a freehand western handle with hidden tang as she won't understand a wa!

As you can see, the tang is pretty similar to what you'd see on Japanese knives, so nothing special here. I cut about 1/3 of this tang as it was too long for my needs.

Nice job! The profile looks much more useful now - as well as the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    As you can see, the tang is pretty similar to what you'd see on Japanese knives, so nothing special here. I cut about 1/3 of this tang as it was too long for my needs.
    Thanks! Really nice job you've done. Interesting shape on the handle - how does it feel in the hand?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMad View Post
    Thanks! Really nice job you've done. Interesting shape on the handle - how does it feel in the hand?
    This handle is very comfortable for hammer grip and terrible with pinch grip. I believe it should have been thinned at least twice to be ok for pinch grip. This size/design is more suitable for hunter knives, not kitchen. But anyways

you doing some great stuff. What kind of wood? Thanks for sharing this>

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    you doing some great stuff. What kind of wood? Thanks for sharing this>
    Thanks!

It's made from a small piece of Ebony and Alder burl (which was marked as "grade B" and was pretty cheap when I bought it few month ago). Very soft wood that I wouldn't use for any serious project, but good enough for this like this knife.

That looks great

You did a great job. But how is the blade quality - was it 'worth' the work?