Hand Held Reciprocating Saw for Butchery?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings,
Looking to develop some custom meat fabrications that I can play around with before requesting them from our lamb purveyor. I need to be able to cut lamb bones but do not want to invest 3K or the floor space for a band saw. Looking to do things like splitting the spine, squaring off the ball joint to facilitate removal of marrow, etc. I realize that this may qualify me as a psychopath but has anyone tried this with a hand held reciprocating saw? Obviously safety precautions like clamping the meat in place, eyeware, etc would be followed. Basically looking for a cheap, effective implement...any suggestions?

Why not just a hand saw? Much cheaper and safer.

Dont see why not but it will be hard to keep sanitary and you would need some long blades which can be a bit flexi.Great idea -i will be interested to see how it works.

Was the hand saw you tried a bone saw? A true bone saw would make a big difference.
I think a reciprocating saw would be really wonky and really unsanitary.
You could just get a super cheapo bandsaw and throw it away....................

..............good luck disposing of the corpses.

I've used one. It was one hand operated. I abandoned the method quickly. This is a craftsman C3 line. Way better for this than the two hand operated ones.

What is more overkill the power saw or double fisting coffee and an energy drink?

image.jpg

I use a sawzall for doing deer in the garage, dont know how I feel about it in a professional kitchen tho..

I have used a Sawzall before, I did not find it terribly effective and switched to a hand/hack saw.

I've used a sawzall to split deer too and it works great. Only thing is you either need to find raw blades, or find a way of taking the paint off of regular blades. I like to split them and keep the chine on the loin - makes a great French rack. We also cook the ribs in foil on coals - we have delicious venison around here.

Back