Shigefusa Vs.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night made a meal for 8 and decided to pull a wa 240 Shig into task. Other than some very slight wedging on the potatoes due to it's thickness, which is better than any other knife with the same spine, it performed every single task quite perfectly. A great steel/edge and a grind that continues to surprise me; a great all-arounder. I've had this for a while and it is fairly non-reactive but I do take care of keeping it dry and oiling after using.

In somewhat of an order:

Vs.
3 butternut squash and 1 acorn squash, peeled and diced to 1/4" pieces
6 lobsters (head kill and split, through shell)
5 yukons, sliced
4 heads of garlic, minced
3 anaheim chiles finely sliced
2 fennel bulbs thinly sliced
1/2 lb radishes
7 tomato, diced
3 onions, paper thin
2 scallions bunches
20 leeks
1 bunch of mint thinly chopped
1 bunch of parsley thinly chopped
4 sheets of dry seaweed, thin strips
4 pears, sliced

Got through these and ended with what I think was about 90-95% of it's initial edge sharpness, edge came right back with some stropping. Not a single chip on the blade. I started with an edge finished on a Rika 5K and some light stropping on loaded balsa.

image.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_8.jpg

Looks like a hell of a good dish made with a great knife!

Out of all the Japanese knives i've owned, Shigefusa was the best. The best profile, taper, craftsmanship, etc. The only Japanese knife I regret selling in 240mm length (was actually 250mm) was my kasumi gyuto.

I still plan on getting another one, but this time for good. Glad to see you are putting it to use. You would be amazed at how many people keep their Shigs as drawer queens, which is a shame really.

Thats would be an absolute shame Canadian. Id love to own a shig anyday!

Do you take any special precautions when using your Shigefusa to kill and split lobsters? I love mine, but I would never think of putting it through a shell; maybe I am too careful?

Do you take any special precautions when using your Shigefusa to kill and split lobsters? I love mine, but I would never think of putting it through a shell; maybe I am too careful?

Crossed my mind for a second, specially because you have to get that tip into the head, so I made sure I didn't do any screw motion more of a straight down incision, and I actually tapped/hammered the heel just a little; but having seen what a Shig can do I just went for it. Mine does have one of the thicker spines and therefore a little heftier taper; as compared to others I've had which were thinner, not that different though. Good hardness, It's not a brittle steel in my opinion

It was somewhat of a test too, maybe just trying to bring some sexiness back to Shigs...

Anton great thread, looks like a good dinner. If you don't have a thin edge on a blade good carbon can split lobsters no problem. A thin edge is great for many types of prep but not hard shells.

That Shigefusa must have good steel.

Edge protection is important, but no need baby a quality blade

Every time i pick up my 240 Shig it amazes me how "right" everything about it is...:happymug:

Thanks for the reminder Anton!

Back