W2 or 52100 Personal Preference

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalaeb

Banned
Reaction score
I don't have experiance with either of these steels yet, but for those who have used them, what is your preference between w2 or 52100?

It is my understanding that W2 is close to 1095 in performance. It the carbide structure in 52100 finer?

I haven't used 52100 and I'm sure it's different for different makers/HT BUT I have sharpened Devin's 52100 and Fowler's W2. Both take super sharp edges rather easily but I have to say, I had to pick my jaw up off the floor when I sharpened the Fowler. It seems to want to be crazy sharp. Frankly, I thought W2 was pretty much perfect if only it was a little more stainless, not that it is particularly reactive.

W2 steel composition spec covers couple dozen alloys in other standards... 0.85-1.50% C, that's a lot, especially for a carbon. So, unless a specific batch is discussed, I suspect it's real hard to talk about comparison with 52100 or 1085.

I noticed what Gator just mentioned, when I was researching the different preferred carbons, found on here.
That's a bg part of why I'm leaning towards O1 for now.

Back