Quantcast
Another cheap western - conversion & re-handle - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another cheap western - conversion & re-handle

Quote Originally Posted by icanhaschzbrgr View Post
    From my experience this happens when you don't flatten enough both pieces. Another trick is to mix epoxy with wood dust (the very same dust that you get when flattening pieces). But more important is too flatten them.

Mikey gave me advice to use a sheet of sandpaper attached to some flat surface (granite block, glass or anything similar) and then just flatten pieces using it. I'm using this method now and it works pretty well. Try and see if it works for you.

Thanks Anton - that's a good thread. I'm pretty happy with the join I got between the spacers and the spine but I don't think I clamped it enough between the ferrule and handle. I'll see if I can improve that on the next one.
    Just back to the blade profile, after you mentioned it, I checked it and remembered that I dropped it just after I finished polishing the blade - point first! It chipped a bit so I had to grind it out - the picture below shows the final profile - it ended up being a bit closer to my original design.

Nice shot!

Now time to make engraving and join KKF vendors subforum