Need Knife or Knife Set Recommendation for Mother's Day

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkim

Reaction score
Need Knife Recommendation For My Mother

I'm looking for a mother's day recommendation for a knife. The thing is, she doesn't really take care of her stuff, no matter what I get her she won't treat it nice. So I'm hesitant about buying her something that's too good, unless it is sure to last.

Country - United States

What type of knife? - Maybe a set? Or a single really good one, I could care less.
Are you left or right handed? - Right handed
Are you interested in a western handle or Japanese Handle - No preference, she has small hands, and is an asian woman.
Length - Not sure to be honest, whatever is recommended
Stainless knife? - If it's more durable
Absolute maximum budget? - $300? Remember she doesn't take care of her stuff

Home or Professional - Home
Main Tasks - slicing, chopping, mincing vegetbles. slicing meat, poultry, trimming meat, cutting fish
What knife are you replacing - Cheap one
Do you have any particular grip - No
Cutting motions - Not sure
Comfort - Average weight, rest I don't care
Ease of use - Use right out of box
Edge Retention - Really really long

Plastic cutting board
Do not sharpen, I am interested for fun
Interested in purchasing sharpening products

What knife are you replacing - Cheap one

I think what the question meant was "What KIND of knife" - a European chef's knife, a "Chinese cleaver", a santoku, a parer ...?

Welcome bkim,

from your description it nearly sounds like knife may not be the best present for your mom (no pun intended).

For under $300 you can get an excellent single knife or 2-3 good knives. If she does not care too well about her knives - will you at least sharpen it for her from time to time? It does not matter how good and durable knife you will buy her - if it will not be sharpen when needed it will be no better than cheap knife.

Still - if you go this route it would be helpful for us to know what type of knife does your mum use most from the description of the task would make a wild guess that a shorter gyuto (180 - 210) or a santoku could be a good choice.

It would also help to know what here preference for the look of the knife is - surely if she will 'like' the knife there is better chance that she will care more for it.

Im going to be stoned for this.....

But for just ease.... go to kitchen window, william sonoma, etc.
For a woman who 'doesnt take care of things' get her a 2 set of Shun knives with fancy handles- it will make her feel good. They look impressive, and are pretty durable (not for real chefs- but it doesnt sound like that is what she is). I mean.... at this point, your not going to special order a japanese knife set are you?

Just go to the store and ask. it will make your life easier.

I just cannot bring myself to go to Williams Sonoma knowing that I'm getting ripped off for something less than ideal.

In terms of sharpening, I suppose I could. I do get a bit annoyed though because she would just leave her knife outside (is that even safe)? or take it to use it in the garden if she can't find her snippers. She literally cannot take care of it, and I think after doing that for years she won't change anytime soon.

I just cannot bring myself to go to Williams Sonoma knowing that I'm getting ripped off for something less than ideal.

In terms of sharpening, I suppose I could. I do get a bit annoyed though because she would just leave her knife outside (is that even safe)? or take it to use it in the garden if she can't find her snippers. She literally cannot take care of it, and I think after doing that for years she won't change anytime soon.

I can understand your situation. I've often wanted to buy nice gifts for my parents, but I'd sometimes end up buying something that would "be nice for me" rather than something that would "work for them".

Does your mom really need a new knife? Is she content with what she has? Maybe something different for her? I think it really depends if she's voiced that she needs new knives or this is one of the things you enjoy and are enthousiastic about.

While not the typical buy a gyuto first comment I usually make. If it is for your mom buy a Kyocera Santoku. Cuts well, and goes in the dishwasher. She will like it.

While not the typical buy a gyuto first comment I usually make. If it is for your mom buy a Kyocera Santoku. Cuts well, and goes in the dishwasher. She will like it.

Not if taken to the garden if you mean the ceramic ones. It won't survive there. I think this needs something like Aritsugu from what I have read from the reviews. Or Busse Battle Mistress.

I would agree with Victorinox based on what you've said about how she treats them. They have a decent edge and will withstand a lot of beating. Look for one of those 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond coupons and go get them there.

Not if taken to the garden if you mean the ceramic ones. It won't survive there. I think this needs something like Aritsugu from what I have read from the reviews. Or Busse Battle Mistress.

I hear what you are saying. It is not for banging around in the garden. Lol

How about giving mom a gift card to *knife retailer of your choice* along with a card that says you will go with mom to help advise her on suitable brands. She can then hold different knives in her hand and decide which brand/size feels right. And you can keep them from selling her overpriced crap.

Maybe they will mean more to her, and she will take better care of them, because you bought them together.

After reading the responses and reading more I guess I'll just go with a Victorinox. No matter what I get her she wouldn't take care of it and it would kind of piss me off.

Now to look for something for me.

A set of nice whetstones, good for you and good for her :)

Btw i know that feel ... I used to try and keep my mother's knives sharp, but no matter how often I sharpened them you could be 100% sure she would use it the next day to cut up a cake on some glass platter and roll up the edge 180°. Pissed me off no end. It was like she just didn't give a sh!t about any effort I had put into it.

I was considering the King 1000 / 6000 combination whetstones. Is there anything else that is recommended or an alternative? Thanks

The best roll-sharp you can get. She vill use it and be happy.

Agree
'Doesnt take care of things'

You think she is going to soak, and spend a few days learning how to use them, then 30 minutes sharpening a week and then set them aside to dry, etc?
And if she doesnt do it right, the knives are useless. I got my mother a whet stone set, and all she did was make the knives dull- then put it aside and never used it again. So I got her the roller type thing- I think it was wustof or global. she uses that once a month now.

Get the roller kind. That way, there is no learning curve, and she will actually use it. And more often-

Back