Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shun Fuji

Shun Fuji

Hey, new to the forums. Just picked up the 7-piece set of Shun Fuji knives. I decided to invest in a good set of kitchen knives, I had been putting this investment off for a while and finally found a set I really liked.

Anyone have these knives? Any opinions on them?

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    I'm glad you are happy with your new acquisition and I'm sure they will give you years of pleasure. Don't remain here though, you may second guess yourself.
    Jason

Shoulda joined up first homie!! lol
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Welcome Sirgin that is Shuns near top of the line blades. I have sharpened quite a few Shun Premiers it's not a bad knife.Never sharpened a Fuji though yet.

Did that set come with a ceramic smooth rod? Much better than their usual steels. If you don't have a whetstone get one,I am sure those knives will take a sharp edge.

I noticed that Shun has a blue steel line San Mai carbon core.

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    I'm glad you are happy with your new acquisition and I'm sure they will give you years of pleasure. Don't remain here though, you may second guess yourself.
    I'm gonna agree with him. It's a deep rabbit hole if you stick around in the forums haha! Next thing you know, you'll start hand sharpening (if you don't already) and then spending more on knives then you thought you ever would!

I actually did the same thing you did. Finally decided to get a fancy set of knives and ended up with the 7-piece Shun Premier set on clearance actually. Pretty good deal. After I bought them, started knife research and wound up returning them because I realized I could get even better knives for the same price or less. Also I found that I didn't use the utility much in my home cooking. Just chef, paring, and bread.

A few years later, I have more knives than in that set originally. Oops! It's fun though! But if you don't want to be tempted, run away now! Lol!

As far as the Fujis, don't know much about them. The Premiers were nice though, but I moved on from rock chopping and found I didn't like the profile and the amount of belly on the Premier chef. Not sure what shape the Fuji is though.

If you love the knives, then you should love and enjoy them. Especially since you've probably been looking forward to them. The rabbit hole isn't for everyone! Just us crazies. Welcome to the forums as well!

I have started lurking on forums 4-5 years ago, many knives , many trades, many packages later still shopping for new ones. Welcome to the KKF

Sent from my iPhone using Kitchen Knife Forum

The Shun Fuji was the beginning of the end for me. They are a very nice line, and I still have my 3 pieces. But as I started learning more I started buying more (a lot more). The Fuji still get used, but not as much as the others I have.
    I will say that the shun Fuji is a well put together line of knives that certainly meet the high performance mark. And they do get amazingly sharp.
    I'd recommend directing your research towards the wonderful world of sharpening, eventually acquiring a couple of stones and developing a good competency towards getting those guys razor sharp.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome aboard!

I do love R2/SG2 however. What are your plans for sharpening them?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

i sold my fuji's on ebay because of kkf.

Haha I expected some mixed responses. I got a good deal on them. They looked cool and l liked how they handeled. I don't think I will sharpen them myslef and probably send them out when they get dull. I also really liked the Shun Hiro, but the Fuji looked amazingly bad ass in person.