What do you use your counter top stand mixer for?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMJones

Reaction score
Just pick up a used Kitchenaid 5qt Commercial mixer and was wondering what you all use them for in the kitchen. I am just a home cook.

Thanks

John

Bread and pizza dough
Mashed potatoes
Whipped cream
Merengue
Grinding meat for sausage.
Pasta sheets
Grating large amounts of cheese

The list is LONG at our house.

I use mine for all things baking. The KA is a mainstay in American kitchens and many if not most baking recipes are written with it in mind. Yours should have come with a dough hook, a flat beater and a whisk.

For bread if recipe says "knead" use the dough hook.

"Beat" means use the flat paddle attachment. Use to cream butter with sugar for cookies, use sparingly to make crusts, cakes, brownies, mix chocolate into cream bases, etc., etc.

"Whisk" of course means the whisk. Primarily used for whipped cream and meringue.

Lot of non baking uses as well. Good motors, a large assortment of attachments (some work better than others).

Mainly baking, some bread/ pizza doughs and merange. I always forget about it when I have to whip heavy cream :O I still have to wash a bowl and whisk, so it could save me a couple minutes.

Dough kneading, I use the pasta attachment and the meat grinder too. Both work well for this home cook. Making pasta is a fun family activity we have found, especially when other kids are over, they are amazed and jump right in.

Dough and meat grinding/sausage stuffing, mostly. My wife does all kinds of stuff with it. I used to make mayo with it, but I use an immersion blender, these days.

At work we use them for anything small batch pastry, sausage stuffing/grinding, pasta rolling, etc.

I use mine to take up space on my counter. It's a shame on my part. I bought my mixer 15 years ago with the thought of getting into baking. Health concerns from my Dr. had me nix those ideas and now my mixer hasn't been used more than 60 minutes total in all those years.

I think it's time to revisit that baking idea. I also wanted to get into making pasta, who knows I might get inspired again.

baking needs,pizza dough & got the grinder attachment 4 months ago want to do some sausages and make salumi if i ever get to build a curing chamber.

dough for pizza and pasta
rolling pasta with the roller attachment
mixing sausage (ground with a hand grinder, stuffed with a Grizzly brand stuffer)

Erilyn! So disappointed! Haha.

Don't forget ice cream! Thanks to my friend who gave me the attachment. :D But otherwise what everyone said. Cookies of course.

I can't bake. At all. I've tried and have failed every time lol. I can make an awesome chocolate chess pie filling but I can't get the crust right, ever. The meat grinder attachment drives me nuts so I don't bother anymore. Now it sits on a shelf in the walk in pantry until the next time I get a notion to try my hand at baking, yet again.

I can't bake. At all. I've tried and have failed every time lol. I can make an awesome chocolate chess pie filling but I can't get the crust right, ever. The meat grinder attachment drives me nuts so I don't bother anymore. Now it sits on a shelf in the walk in pantry until the next time I get a notion to try my hand at baking, yet again.

Damn that sucks! Sorry to hear that! I guess you get a pass this time for having a good reason. :) You just need one of these fine chefs to give you a baking lesson! :D

Back