Reco. needed; Zwilling vs Messermeister

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Various121

Reaction score
Zwilling Professional S vs Messermeister Meridian Elite

Type: 7-piece block set (see explanation below)
Handedness: Right
Handle: Western
Length: Various
Stainless: not required
Maximum: $280

Use: Home, novice cook
Tasks: Various home tasks, breaking poulty bone not in forseeable future
Replacing: Whole set
Grip: Nothing in particular
Motions: Slice, chop
Improvements: All, replacing an Ikea set

Cutting board: End grain acacia
Do you sharpen: No
If not, are you interested: yes
Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products: yes

Two-weeks away from marriage and trying to replacing my fiance's old Ikea set. She can care less about the knives but I have a certain appreciation for the art; my EDC rotation consists of a Benchmade Megumi, Kershaw Onion and Case Russlock.

Why a block set when it's universally panned? We're novice cooks, learning together at home. The two big reasons are total cost and that she would still like a nice set to have out on the counter. We're not skilled enough to invest in hundereds per knife (yet) nor do we cook enough (yet) to justify it but I would still like a set that will last for some time with proper care. The two sets consist of:

Zwilling: full bolster, 8" chef, 4" paring, 5" serrated utility, 6" utility, 9" honing steel, shears, 14 slot block

Messermeister: half bolster, 8" chef, 3.5" paring, 6" offset bread, 4.5" utility, 9" honing steel, shears, 10 slot block

Any opinions or insight would be helpful. There's a ton out there on Henkel's but not a lot on Messermeister.

Thanks guys.

Before I got involved with Japanese knives, I was considering Messermeister Meridian Elite, and went so far as to buy a paring knife to check it out. As I recall, the fit and finish were excellent, and the steel took a decent edge. It certainly is the equal of the Zwilling, at least the Four Star chef's I had at that time.

One of the reasons I was considering Messermeister was that it does not have a finger guard to interfere with sharpening. For that reason alone, I would pick Messermeister over Zwilling.

Oh, yeah - congratulations on your upcoming nuptuals.

Rick

Within your constraints I would go with the Messermeister. I have occasion to use either Wustie, Henckel, Shun or Messermeister frequently, I like the Messr - particularly the 9" chef, among those choices. The Messr is not marketed as aggressively as the others but IMO is the better knife. The half bolster will also facilitate sharpening whether you do it yourself or have it done.

Why not get a forschner/victorinox set at cutlery and more they are on sale at a good price and you can use the money you save to get a king 1000/6000

I know you don't want to hear it but... don't get a set. For $300 you can get several knives (3) of a much higher quality to do all of the work you need. Later on get a mag bar and display them near the cutting board. They will still look nice and perform better.

Why not get a forschner/victorinox set at cutlery and more they are on sale at a good price and you can use the money you save to get a king 1000/6000

For whatever reason, my rational side has never been able to compete with gut reaction; it's been that way for pocket knives, watches, whatever else. The Victorinox set doesn't speak to me. I don't know why, even though my brain knows its a good set.

I know you don't want to hear it but... don't get a set. For $300 you can get several knives (3) of a much higher quality to do all of the work you need. Later on get a mag bar and display them near the cutting board. They will still look nice and perform better.

1) Of the sets I mentioned above, which it the lesser of two evils?

2) I think I might make it into another thread, but with my pricing constraints above ($280, max), what kind of set would you make? Remember, I'll need a block too (unless I just reuse her IKEA block); we plan on getting a mag bar when we move from condo to house (no room now).

I've always thought knife sets were kind of a waste of $$. 90% of home food prep can be handled between a 8"-10" gyuto and a 4" paring knife. Throw in a decent bread knife, and a 6" santoku/nakiri/or gyuto, depending on preference, and you'll be set. IMO, $300 spent on four good knives is much better money spent than a $300 seven or eight piece set.

I've always thought knife sets were kind of a waste of $$. 90% of home food prep can be handled between a 8"-10" gyuto and a 4" paring knife. Throw in a decent bread knife, and a 6" santoku/nakiri/or gyuto, depending on preference, and you'll be set. IMO, $300 spent on four good knives is much better money spent than a $300 seven or eight piece set.

Everybody, we have got to start reading what the poster says, and not put our own prejudices in play. He very clearly said "...she would still like a nice set to have out on the counter...", yet the argument against a set is still brought out in most all of the replies. Let's start responding to the question, okay?

If you read my original post you'll see the two sets only come with four knives. I'm not going for a 10, 11, 22 piece set. I'm trying to keep it as minimal as possible while still considering my fiance's wishes.

Everybody, we have got to start reading what the poster says, and not put our own prejudices in play. He very clearly said "...she would still like a nice set to have out on the counter...", yet the argument against a set is still brought out in most all of the replies. Let's start responding to the question, okay?

Thank you. Over time and as I develop my skill set and knowledge, I do plan on investing in better knives because that's just how I am. Unfortunately for now, I'm stuck with the parameters set-forth in my original post.

Is it possible to stretch your budget just a little bit more? if so, you should definitely grab this Mac Pro block set. The mac pro line is alot better than any of the aforementioned knives. http://www.cutleryandmore.com/mac-professional/knife-block-set-p110217

I wish I could. That's a nice looking set and I'm sure better than my choices but it's also double the price of the lowest of my two sets. Believe it or not $280 is me stretching it out at this point.

If you want to save money go with a Tojiro DP 3 piece set then use the block you already have maybe?

By my count you've had two responses to your question - both favored the Messermeister.

And some interesting and well thought though ultimately unresponsive answers to questions you did not ask.

Good luck in your search.

If you want to save money go with a Tojiro DP 3 piece set then use the block you already have maybe?

Hmmm, that might not be a terrible idea. Should I assume the Tojiro DP line is superior to the other two lines, enough to make a difference?

I do not know much about the Messers the Zwillings sort of? I personally do not like the profile of a Zwilling it is weird to me? Maybe someone else can chime in on the Tojiro I have not owned one personally but the steel is most likely better VG10. I know that Tojiro does one of the best heat treats on its VG10 steel. I also see this recommended a lot to beginners as well. Just throwing another option out there

Not a bad idea, the two smaller knives are very similar though. I would go for the the 2 piece set at Cultlery & More Tojiro DP 8.25 gyuto & 3.5 paring knife sale at 99.95. Then you have 2 useful blades that are better quality with VG-10 steel.

I have used & sharpened the 240mm Tojiro DP it works well & has a better profile than most set knives. As long as the 8.25 fits in your block.Then you can add a coupe blades later as you might see a need.

Not a bad idea, the two smaller knives are very similar though. I would go for the the 2 piece set at Cultlery & More Tojiro DP 8.25 gyuto & 3.5 paring knife sale at 99.95. Then you have 2 useful blades that are better quality with VG-10 steel.

I have used & sharpened the 240mm Tojiro DP it works well & has a better profile than most set knives. As long as the 8.25 fits in your block.Then you can add a coupe blades later as you might see a need.

This is true salty. If a bread knife is a must the Tojiro ITK bread knife is cool

On a side note: The "Messermeister" brand knives are actually "Burgvogel" knives, made by Karl Bahns Ltd., Solingen. They are just sold under a different name in the US.

http://www.burgvogel.de/index2.htm

IMHO there isn't a lot difference between the Zwilling and the Burgvogels, AFAIK they both use the same steel tempered to the same hardness. It msostly depends on how you like the handles.

Have you looked at F. Dick knives? I collect mostly Euro knives and those have have become something of my favourites. The "Premier Plus" and the "Superior" series have great handles. Don't know if you can get over the brand name though :biggrin:

This is true salty. If a bread knife is a must the Tojiro ITK bread knife is cool

I would buy a bread knife and use it to multi-task with tomoates and what not, only because I'm not huge on bread. Although, isn't $80 a bit excessive for a bread knife? From what I've read, because of the serrated edge, a cheaper knife ($15-$20) would work as well as a more expensive knife. Thoughts?

On a side note: The "Messermeister" brand knives are actually "Burgvogel" knives, made by Karl Bahns Ltd., Solingen. They are just sold under a different name in the US.

IMHO there isn't a lot difference between the Zwilling and the Burgvogels, AFAIK they both use the same steel tempered to the same hardness. It msostly depends on how you like the handles.

Have you looked at F. Dick knives? I collect mostly Euro knives and those have have become something of my favourites. The "Premier Plus" and the "Superior" series have great handles. Don't know if you can get over the brand name though :biggrin:

I didn't know that. If there isn't much difference, I supposed I would lean towards the Burgvogels as they have the half bolster.

F. Dick you say? I'll have to look into them, I have no problem with the name...

It is not just a bread knife my friend.

[video=youtube;dvNs4zB6zXg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvNs4zB6zXg[/video]

It is much different then most other bread knives. It has scalloped serrations an offset handle

It is not just a bread knife my friend...
It is much different then most other bread knives. It has scalloped serrations an offset handle

I can see this forum can get expensive. In an effort to save money and look at other brands besides the Tojiro, I guess what I'm looking for in a bread knife is scalloped serrations and an offset handle?

If I were to still go with one of my two original sets, that would make me lean more towards the Mess.

It is not just a bread knife my friend.

[video=youtube;dvNs4zB6zXg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvNs4zB6zXg[/video]

Meh, that guy is ok.

I have a Dickoron oval polishing steel luv it. It has (DICK polish) in gold letters on the blue handle. Who ever designed that handle had a sick sense of humor:O

Latest posts

Back