New knives...Chicken...Help...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CuracaoJ

Reaction score
Dear people who know more about Japanese knives than me…I need some help.
I need to make a few knife purchases and hope you can steer me in the right direction. Because of my location all of these knives need to be bought sight unseen.
I’m an avid home cook, making about 5-6 meals a week, plus the occasional party at the house, as well as owning a small café that cuts a lot of tomatoes and onions. My wife (from Colombia) and I are getting close to retirement, and we bought a house near her family in Colombia. So to that end I need to equip another kitchen. I’m new to the Japanese knife thing, and a fan. I’m thinking of moving my mostly German knife collection down to Colombia and ordering some good Japanese cutlery to the other (main) house which is in Curacao.
To my detriment I fell prey to the Shun marketing techniques (say what you will about them, but at least they introduced me to Japanese knives)! I’ve read here that they are a bit overpriced for what you get, which may be true, all I know is I got a 3 pieced set (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6YE1L4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
), for what I think is a very fair price for some knives that blew my mind away after using German knives for the better part of 30 years. I think that set cost me less than my ancient Wusthof 12” chef’s knife cost me fresh out of college without adjusting for inflation.
I need to get another three, maybe 4 or 5 knives before I can move the rest down here to Colombia.
The first, and most problematic is a replacement for my chef’s knives. As previously mentioned I have a gigantic old German, as well as a newer 8” Calphalon – whatever their high end piece is. These are my go to knives. I use them to break down chickens, other poultry, fish, pineapples, hard squash and pumpkins of the Caribbean variety, and am comfortable using them to peel an apple as well. I think a Gyuto is not the best bet for breaking down a chicken, and a symmetrical deba may be the answer, but could use some advice on that. I really appreciate a thick spine when breaking down poultry and hard fruits and veggies, so that is also a factor. Sharpening is not an issue, I own a woodshop and have lots of goodies ranging from Sharptons and Arkansaw stones to a Tormek and everything between for sharpening. That being said, I’m not particularly in the mood for learning to sharpen things that aren’t symmetrical (traditional Deba), or for dealing with chips because the knife edge is too acute for breaking down poultry bones. So any Japanese ideas, or should I just go back to a classic Dexter and a cheap machine sharpener every other chicken?

My next requirement is a simple straight paring knife, maybe 2, a 3.5” and a 4.5” or there abouts. Nothing spectacular, we’re talking about the occasional hard cheese and crackers while I sit in front of the TV type knife, maybe a tomato rose or two.
Next a bread knife. Must cut bread. Enough said.
Lastly I do tend to filet a lot of fish. For that I currently have a long piece of crap Kershaw I bought at a sporting goods store a million years ago. It’s nice and flexible like a wet noodle, and holds and edge long enough to get me through half a filet. However on the good side, it’s long, flexible, cheap, and if I run it through an electric sharpener for 30 seconds before hand it will filet the kay- rap out of anything I throw at it. However, I’m certainly willing to have a nice upgrade from something I bought on a fishing trip at the age of 14 with my allowance money!
Now, knowing the “knives are personal,” and “can you please explain,” questions are coming let me see what I can do to head them off at the pass:
• I’m right handed, I like big handles (the D handles on the Shun’s fit me perfectly, while say a Global handle sucks for me).
• I’m a big guy with big hands and like tip heavy for balance.
• Stainless or mostly care free is a must. I have swords, I love them. I care for them, Japanese chisels also. I have zero interest in putting that effort into my kitchen knives that other people will use when I am not looking. Wash, dry, magnet bar is the care they will get. Unlike my chisels and Katanas I can’t lock up my knives.
• Sharpening is not an issue, I’m not a pro, but I can do it, however I don’t want to spend tons of time doing it, nor do I care to learn new skills like A-symmetrical work or giant micro bevels.
• I like a more integral bolster. Many of the Japanese knives I look at it looks like the tang just goes right into a mortise. Aesthetically that just doesn’t do it for me. I like the Shun’s for this reason, as well as say Korin and German knives.
• My budget is less than $300 on the bigger knives and less than $200 on the smaller. Flexible, but that’s a ballpark.

I think that’s it. Since I am forced to buy sight unseen I really appreciate any advice I can get! I’ve been trolling here for about a month and it certainly seems like the people here are nice, friendly, and most importantly smarter than me!

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Jeff, great having you on board.

Might I just add that you don't really have to have something along the lines of a cleaver or western deba to break down a chicken? If you know where to make the right cuts, a whole chook can be stripped down to the bone with just a 120 and/or 150mm Petty Knife. And since you have the occasional cheese and crackers (I had a delicious Morbier myself last night, 10pm Australian time) and looking for a small-ish parer, i'd recommend going for a 120mm Petty, just so you save money on getting a knife that you'd really only use 5-6 times. I use a honesuki in the pro kitchen but that's another matter of preference and I don't think you'd gravitate down that end seeing how faffing about with asymmetry isn't something you'd like :D

But having said that, when you talk about filleting fish, I can't really see myself using any other knife apart from a deba! I'm guessing you like semi-flexible or full flex fillet knives?

Bread knife wise, Tojiro ITK 27cm bread knife is my pick.

If you have non-knife nuts handling your babies on a regular basis (shudder), I'd go for a cheap Victorinox chef's knife with softer steel that doesn't chip for the tough stuff (breaking down chicken and cutting up squash and pumpkins), also Victorinox parers and breadknife. The F. Dick ProDynamic range is in the same league price- and quality wise, the chef's knife has a much wider, heavier blade though. Excellent function at a bargain price and you will have plenty more dough left to spend on an addititional, really good (Japanese) chef's knife for the fine stuff that requires a razor edge.

Yeah, the NKNs (non-knife nuts) are fairly well trained. I have them trained to wash, rinse, and dry IMMEDIATELY after use. And actually they tend to gravitate towards the smaller less expensive knives anyway. Of course the problem with that is if it is raw steel, wiping with a dry rag and putting on a magnet bar is about guaranteed to get me 4 nice parallel rust lines on the back of the knife (I shudder to think of someone doing that to my Japanese chisels!).

I'm getting a few suggestions for the Tojiro DP western Deba for my chicken issue, so it looks like I'll do that. I've seen some you tubes yesterday of a guy just destroying chicken, lobster, squash and garlic with that thing. It looks like the Deba will be good for the beat-the-crap-out-of-**** knife. Also, the Tojiro seems to be pretty well respected for the bread knife as well. So I'm leaning that way for those two.

Still looking for a good fish knife though, something with at least a tinsey wee bit of flex as that is what I'm used to, and I know I suck at filets with a chefs knife. Need at least 240, and longer would be better.

Thanks for all the advice!

Pullman Brioche Loaves. Chicken Cordon Bleu. At the end it's corn bread baked in a hotel pan.

Ah, thanks. It sure looked tasty even without knowing what it was ...

It was nice to see how pros put massive knife lengths to good use, little need for that for a measly barely-amateur homecook like me (I still bought the Hattori FH and the CarboNext gyuto in 270mm because damn, they sure make me feel like a pro :laugh:)

Okay, this forum is officially EVIL -- it's killing my vacation and running up my new kitchen bill!

Thanks for the answers so far, and the videos, and the info on sharpening, and all the other stuff I have found in the first 50 pages of trolling through archives....

So now I have decided to move the whole old kitchen down to Colombia and basically get lots of new stuff based on what I have read here.

So far the thinking is this:

The 240 DB western Deba previously mentioned (which by the way is out of stock everywhere, anyone know where I can get one?!?!)

For fish I decided I'll just go with a Victorinox, Dexter, or Mundial, whatever my local kitchen supply has. I'll ram it through an electric sharpener every other fish and just wait it out 10 years until the blade is gone.

For bread knife I went with the Mac

I decided to pick up a new Nakiri also, having never used one until about 3 weeks ago, I decided I love it. So the Shun is staying down here and the main kitchen will get a Tojiro Senkou 7", unless anyone has a favorable mention for something else?

Paring and cheese I spent some extra money on, going with the classic Shun 4" and then on either side of that the 3.5 and 5.5 Zwilling Kramer series based on reviews here. The old German's will serve for hard cheese.

The Michigan Maple board is leaving and getting replaced, due to massive amounts of respect here, by a BoardSmith endgrain, likely Cherry.

Lastly I went with the Mac black ceramic for touch ups on all the new blades.

Any other advise or tips for a guy whose decided to basically replace all of his cutlery?

Cheers.

Maybe Chad Ward's book "An Edge in the Kitchen"? A fantastic book about everything knife related in the kitchen, very entertaining to read, too.

Blade steels, handles, bevels, thinning, sharpening, stropping, knife skills, cutting techniques ... all you'll ever need to know.

Back