Gyuto with least stiction / best food release

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wisew

Reaction score
First I wanted to thank you all - it is unreal how much I've learned from this forum in the past week or so. I went from being convinced that only a German knife could possibly meet my needs to diving head-first into the wonderful world of Japanese knives.

This is for a down-the-road purchase for myself - in my other thread I settled on a Chinese cleaver, but I would also like to have a Gyuto (and so my collection begins... haha).

When it comes to prep work, stiction and wedging are my mortal enemies. I've been eating semi-vegetarian for awhile, so I cut up tons of root vegetables and squash, not to mention cheese, and my Victorinox Fibrox has a serious problem with stiction. EVERYTHING sticks as I cut. It makes me cut a lot slower than I would otherwise. Sure, I might be able to improve this with a different grind (I'll see what I can do when I get my stone), but what I really want is a gyuto with the least stiction possible. I want it to laugh in the face of potatoes, and send cheese flying off its blade (well okay, not too literally).

I've looked at Glestain and I've heard good things, but I wanted to find out if there was anything I'm missing.

Thanks so much for your help!

United States

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?

Chef's knife (gyuto), or a santoku if that would make more sense given my needs

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Western; I suspect wa handles would be too uncomfortable and utilitarian for me.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm / 210mm (but I do already have an 8" knife so 240's probably better)

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes (I won't consider anything that isn't stainless) - it needs to have exceptional corrosion / stain resistance

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$200, unless more would get me something godlike.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?

Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Slicing, chopping, and mincing vegetables; slicing and chopping cooked meat (like sausages for example)(I don't really handle raw meat anymore). Specifically, cutting up cheeses, squash, potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, beets, etc.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Not exactly replacing, but complimenting a Victorinox Fibrox 8" Chef's Knife and a Messermeister Asian Precision 8" Chinese Cleaver.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch grip

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Drawing, walking, push cut

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Better food release!! Much sharper OOTB edge, excellent edge retention, minimal wedging, effortless cutting is really what I'm going after.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I'd like a knife with exceptional fit & finish. For riveted Western handles, for instance, the handles should be completely seamless and well constructed. The spine should be well polished.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
As ergonomic a handle as possible - nothing blocky, and not just a straight stick. The handle should be grippy (that's easily my favorite part about the Fibrox). A semi-rounded choil would be good - I don't really want to dig my finger into a sharp corner - same with spine. Excellent balance.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
OOTB sharpness should be exceptional (but I will sharpen it); less wedging for sure; and of course, better food release (minimal stiction possible).

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
As long as possible, but I would also like a knife that isn't crazy difficult to sharpen.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Yes (bamboo and cork)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Will be starting as soon as my stone arrives

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I'd like the knife to have a really hard steel (my cleaver has a max HRC of 58, so harder than that), but still be reasonable for a newbie to sharpen. Also, I'd like it to have great edge retention and be able to take a magically sharp edge. Any suggestions for such a steel?

It would also be nice if it was a little on the wider side toward the handle for finger clearance purposes.

I'd like the handle to be as durable as possible, but also somewhat grippy (don't want it to slide if I happen to get my hands a little wet). I probably wouldn't want a vanilla wood handle, because I doubt it would hold up over time and would require a bit more care and maintenance than I'm able to invest right now. But some kind of resin-infused wood handle or a grippy plastic would fit the bill.

Are there certain features knives with less stiction have (grind, finishes, etc)?

Without taking into consideration your preference and answering your question from my opinion. A pre makers mark mario ingoglia gyuto, this knife has the best food release and least stiction ive ever seen or used.

Oh I should add that my budget really isn't that fixed - I'm totally willing to save up if that's what it takes (although I don't want a custom knife).

I am trying to find the thread that someone made (do not remember who) with videos showing how each knife performed vs. potato sticktion

thanks buddy the search feature here is not too great

glestains work pretty well for this though the steel isn't that hard

Watching those videos again I think I need to get myself and Itinominn

[video=youtube;dkp7NzFy8EQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkp7NzFy8EQ[/video]

"Lighter than air" + "no pressure or force required" to cut, huh? Dang!

Well let me attempt to get this back on topic -

Will pretty much any Japanese knife I get that isn't a laser have better food release than my flat ground Victorinox?

Because if that's the case I'll probably just get a Glestain since I know those work, as well as another highly regarded Gyuto that I won't be needing so much for good food release, but for a better edge.

A few suggestions: look for a heavier gyuto (I have the Hiromoto AS and Masamoto HC in mind), eliminate steering by proper sharpening, loosen your grip and speed up your motion.

Here is a stupid question for ya all. I watched the link with the other thread that has the videos and did my own little test. Why not just use a knife with a granton edge for easy release ? Is that not kosher for the chefs arsenal ? I have a cheap granton edge sabatier santoku that I sharpened up nicely and it passed the potato test with flying colors compared to all my other knives. I'm not sure if they have Gyuto's with granton as I've never looked for one lol. But would't a Damascus gyuto release well ?

Here is a stupid question for ya all. I watched the link with the other thread that has the videos and did my own little test. Why not just use a knife with a granton edge for easy release ? Is that not kosher for the chefs arsenal ? I have a cheap granton edge sabatier santoku that I sharpened up nicely and it passed the potato test with flying colors compared to all my other knives. I'm not sure if they have Gyuto's with granton as I've never looked for one lol. But would't a Damascus gyuto release well ?

Were the potatoes peeled and soaked in water in the fridge overnight? Because THAT's the potato test. Korin has Glestain. http://korin.com/Glestain-Indented-Gyutou?sc=27&category=8549827

Alright, I will be trying out a Glestain when I visit Korin this weekend.

As for my non-super-anti-stiction knife, after spending waaaaay too much time scouring this forum, I think I've narrowed it down to these options:

Gesshin Ginga 240mm
People have been singing the praises of the Ginga all over the place and it seems like one of the (if not the) frontrunners right now.

Gesshin Kagero 240mm
(See note for Blazen)

Gesshin Uraku / Gonbei AUS-10 240mm
Jon recommended these to me as beginner J-knives, but the fit & finish don't seem to quite be there compared to many of the others I have here, and that is something I care about. Although I'll find out this weekend at Korin, I don't think I'm going to like wa handles very much right now (and I think I run a high risk of ruining them with roommates around -__- ), so that would rule out the Uraku.

Hattori Forum FH 240mm
I must admit that I've been seduced by the handles. They look like the best Western handles on any J-knife I could get, and from what I've gathered people seem to be pretty pleased with the knife's performance, and I've found several posts from relative beginners saying this was a great first knife. Definitely a frontrunner.

Suisin Inox (Special Inox? Western-Style?) 240mm
This one's cheaper (on par with the Gonbei / Uraku) more or less, but how's the F/F? Performance, retention, ease of sharpening, etc?

Ryusen Blazen 240mm
I've read really good things about the Blazen, but it's by far the most expensive one I have listed here. Would I be gaining anything with that sticker shock? I noticed that along with the Kagero the Blazen is the only one with powdered steel - will that be too difficult for a newbie to sharpen / care for? (I've read some reports about it being more brittle than other steels but maybe this doesn't apply to the Blazen or Kagero.)

Masamoto VG 240mm
Not entirely sure what advantages the Masamoto would have over any of the others here.

Mac Pro MBK-95 240mm
Ah, what the hell. It's on the cheap end, and Mac was a lot of people's gateway knife. (This is the dark horse candidate)

---------

What do you think of these options? Are any of them too difficult for a beginner to sharpen? (I'll be practicing on my Victorinox).

I know most of these have asymmetrical edges - are asymmetrical edges more difficult for a beginner to sharpen? (I'm guessing yes but I will be practicing on another knife so maybe that won't be a deal breaker?

I'm actually leaning laser because I essentially already have two workhorses with my Victorinox and Chinese cleaver, but at the same time I think I'd like something middle-ground - much thinner than anything I've ever used, but not quite a laser (if I start in the middle than I'll know whether I want to go thicker or thinner).

Also to give you an idea, although I'm a beginner, I don't want to start out with a knife that I'm almost certain to outgrow. I fully expect my tastes to change as I gain more experience, but I don't want to drop a lot of money (even the "entry level" knives are a lot of money for me) on something I will almost definitely replace once I get more experience.

Thanks again everyone!

Does not matter what knife you buy now, you will end up "overgrowing" it even just for curiosity reason :)
However from the above choices I would be selecting from Ginga and Suisin.

Alright, I will be trying out a Glestain when I visit Korin this weekend.

As for my non-super-anti-stiction knife, after spending waaaaay too much time scouring this forum, I think I've narrowed it down to these options:

Gesshin Ginga 240mm
People have been singing the praises of the Ginga all over the place and it seems like one of the (if not the) frontrunners right now.

Gesshin Kagero 240mm
(See note for Blazen)

Jon recommended these to me as beginner J-knives, but the fit & finish don't seem to quite be there compared to many of the others I have here, and that is something I care about. Although I'll find out this weekend at Korin, I don't think I'm going to like wa handles very much right now (and I think I run a high risk of ruining them with roommates around -__- ), so that would rule out the Uraku.

Hattori Forum FH 240mm
I must admit that I've been seduced by the handles. They look like the best Western handles on any J-knife I could get, and from what I've gathered people seem to be pretty pleased with the knife's performance, and I've found several posts from relative beginners saying this was a great first knife. Definitely a frontrunner.

Suisin Inox (Special Inox? Western-Style?) 240mm
This one's cheaper (on par with the Gonbei / Uraku) more or less, but how's the F/F? Performance, retention, ease of sharpening, etc?

Ryusen Blazen 240mm
I've read really good things about the Blazen, but it's by far the most expensive one I have listed here. Would I be gaining anything with that sticker shock? I noticed that along with the Kagero the Blazen is the only one with powdered steel - will that be too difficult for a newbie to sharpen / care for? (I've read some reports about it being more brittle than other steels but maybe this doesn't apply to the Blazen or Kagero.)

Masamoto VG 240mm
Not entirely sure what advantages the Masamoto would have over any of the others here.

Mac Pro MBK-95 240mm
Ah, what the hell. It's on the cheap end, and Mac was a lot of people's gateway knife. (This is the dark horse candidate)

---------

What do you think of these options? Are any of them too difficult for a beginner to sharpen? (I'll be practicing on my Victorinox).

I know most of these have asymmetrical edges - are asymmetrical edges more difficult for a beginner to sharpen? (I'm guessing yes but I will be practicing on another knife so maybe that won't be a deal breaker?

I'm actually leaning laser because I essentially already have two workhorses with my Victorinox and Chinese cleaver, but at the same time I think I'd like something middle-ground - much thinner than anything I've ever used, but not quite a laser (if I start in the middle than I'll know whether I want to go thicker or thinner).

Also to give you an idea, although I'm a beginner, I don't want to start out with a knife that I'm almost certain to outgrow. I fully expect my tastes to change as I gain more experience, but I don't want to drop a lot of money (even the "entry level" knives are a lot of money for me) on something I will almost definitely replace once I get more experience.

Thanks again everyone!

After a little more research I've now narrowed it down to:

Gesshin Ginga 240mm
Hattori Forum FH 240mm
Suisin Special Inox 240mm
Suisin Western Style Inox 240mm
Masamoto VG 240mm
Mac Pro MBK-95 240mm

Imho the victorinox chefs knife is quite laser its thin and light not really very qorkhorse like the only reason people consider it a work horse is because its not very brittle and can take alot of abuse.

Also dont worry about outgrowing them in 6 months you will be buying more knives haha once you commit to it your screwed lol. :)

FWIW, I went to Korin this weekend and tried out the Glestain, and found it waaaay too clunky and chunky for my tastes (guess I am used to thinner & lighter knives after all - damn you Victorinox!). I also have come to realize that the reason I hate stiction so much might be because my knife is so dull all the time, so it's like pouring salt in a wound. If my knife had better cutting performance, I wouldn't care so much about stiction (if that makes sense). So for my first plunge into the world of J-knives, I'd rather get a performance beast than an anti-stiction beast, and if stiction still bothers me, then maybe an Itinomonn or Gesshin Heiji is in order. :)

So at this point, I'm almost definitely getting a Gesshin Ginga. (although that Itinomonn really does look nice... dammit)

FWIW, I went to Korin this weekend and tried out the Glestain, and found it waaaay too clunky and chunky for my tastes (guess I am used to thinner & lighter knives after all - damn you Victorinox!). I also have come to realize that the reason I hate stiction so much might be because my knife is so dull all the time, so it's likelihood pouring salt in a wound. If my knife had better cutting performance, I wouldn't care so much about stiction (if that makes sense). So for my first plunge into the world of J-knives, I'd rather get a performance beast than an anti-stiction beast, and if stiction still bothers me, then maybe an Itinomonn or Gesshin Heiji is in order. :)

So at this point, I'm almost definitely getting a Gesshin Ginga. (although that Itinomonn really does look nice... dammit)

The Ginga is not the best performer when it comes to food release, but it's on par with other lasers. The Heiji has much better food release.

But, the Ginga is a superior cutter to most knives. I generally prefer my Ginga over my Heiji.

If you're thinking laser and you're open to semi-stainless, I'll make a pitch for the Konosuke HD line. Practically stainless -- you'd have to leave it in the sink for a long time to have any issues. It comes in a funayuki profile as well if you like a flatter profile. Incredibly thin and light, takes a fantastic edge, keeps it for a really long time. This is such a good knife you may never need another. Keep in mind that the 240s are actually closer to 230mm.

Back