Quantcast
Sharpening- who sits who stands?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sharpening- who sits who stands?

Sharpening- who sits who stands?

I've always done my sharpening at work, so I've had no option but to stand, but I've seen In Daves DVD he's sitting down, and Maksim has his stool setup. Over the weekend I took some gear home, and set myself up at a table with a stool, and did some sharpening, I had the stone at about sternum height. I found it very comfortable. I'm thinking of making this a permanent setup. I'm curious to hear what others do?
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Sit, stone at about belly button level.

Be well,
    Mikey
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

is this question really about sharpening?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I've never sat down, but maybe I'll try it one day. I'm just so used to doing ALL knife related things standing up...........
    I don't even have a stool in my work shop/closet.
    Hmmmmm
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I also only sharpen at work and always have stood. Also have been curious about this as well. Was it as easy and comfortable or better than standing? It's hard to imagine as I've only done it one way the whole time I've been sharpening knives.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    is this question really about sharpening?
    ..... My girlfriend says I splash less when I sit

Quote Originally Posted by mametaro View Post
    I also only sharpen at work and always have stood. Also have been curious about this as well. Was it as easy and comfortable or better than standing? It's hard to imagine as I've only done it one way the whole time I've been sharpening knives.
    I actually found it easier, it felt more natural to hold an angle, I felt being closer to the stone made it easier to see what was going on.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Haha!
    Thanks Huw. I'm getting older and it would be nice to be able to sit when I sharpen. Also like the sound of feeling closer to the stone. Going to give it a try on my next day off. Much appreciated.

I like to stand so I can adjust the angle of my torso above the stones more easily. Works best for me.

I can never figure out the best work height when I am standing while sharpening, more often than not I just get back pain. Easier when I sit. Not that I sharpen enough to really know...

Stefan

I use the sink bridge now, so I stand. When I had a portable setup I tried to sit, but could not find the comfortable high.