Honesuki - straight or curved edge?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have still not managed to choose a honesuki, but reading threads on the topic all around the web I have dound positive comments on honesuki knives which do have slightly curved edge. I would be interested in hearing opinion of users around here.

Also - what options one have when looking for a honesuki with curved edge? Most of what I have found were custom knives (Carter, Fowler) and Hattori FH.

thanks

I've got one of these:

t-honesuki_00.png

(image courtesy of Tosho)

Nice curve on the entire egde. Makes the knife more agile and precise compared to a completely straight edge Honesuki. It's nice and fat so it can take some heavy use, almost abuse. Easy to clean and stays nice and sharp.

I have a Masakage Koishi. I'm not generally a big fan of Masakage but this knife is very very good. AS steel with good heat treatment and a well proportioned knife IMHO. Double bevel grind but ground very much like a single bevel with Big difference between the two sides.

Thanks Kim. I have read your review on the Masakage. Accidentally - I have Masakage Koishi Ko-Bunka which I find to be a great little (130mm) knife. I was not aware that the grind on the Masakage Honesuki is asymmetric. I am a little concerned about the AS steel choice - I am wondering whether it does not tend to chip since it is probably hardened to around HRC 63 - what is your experience there?

Did your opinion on the Masakage change since you wrote that review?

The Masakage Honesuki does have somewhat curved edge what is something that I would really prefer.

So - shooting a mail to Jon again turned to be a good idea :) He has some honesuki that do not show on his webpage (yet) and I will probably give one of them a try. It is in semi stainless with very simple western handle. The blade has a slight curve what even Jon considers to be better than a straight blade. According to Jon the steel is great, but the F&F not - I do take his word for that. Since the price is right ($115) I figured that if I like the knife I will at least have an excuse to send it to one of our highly skilled members for a handle and F&F update :)

If you want to see the knife just check the Jon's instagram or simply have a look at: http://instagram.com/jknifeimports In the photo with 6 honesuki knvies it is the 2nd from the left. (First from the left is a stainless steel one which is also in the following photo and also looks very interesting - in particular for $79)

Sounds like a plan, no? :knife:

I have the Konosuke Fujiyama Honesuki in Shirogami #2. I haven't measured it, but it seems to have a -slight- curve. Works beautifully!
N96IwlH.jpg

Back