Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Macon Bacon...rd 2.....

Macon Bacon...rd 2.....

Following the thread that Dardeau setup for me....more bacon...but with spices this time....

Star anise, cumin, coriander, kashmiri chile powder, black peppercorns

Toasted and ground

added to the salt, brown sugar, and pink salt...

Then topped with white sugar...a little less than last time, trying to go a little more savory...

Mix until uniform in color...

A brand new 10# slab of bacon from the best bacon produce in my knowledge: Petit Jean Meat Company. This piece is both better and cheaper than the slab I got from Central Market in DFW.

There is just something about pork and sepia...

or even pork and red...

Cut into approx 3.5# slabs for vacuum packing...

Add a thick layer to each side of each slab....

Ready to cure for 10 days or so in the fridge...

Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Don't vacuum seal, only cure 4 days. just put them in a pan and plenty of weight on top.

I was curious about where the vacuum seal came from. Can't find it my reading on curing but know you have some good advisors.
    Older and wider..

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Don't vacuum seal, only cure 4 days. just put them in a pan and plenty of weight on top.
    Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    I was curious about where the vacuum seal came from. Can't find it my reading on curing but know you have some good advisors.
    why not vacuum seal? I don't pull a very strong vacuum on these...just ensuring the cure is in constant contact with the meat....

I'll check them daily and turn every other day (ish)...and pull them when they are firm and pink, last time that was about 7 days....

The vac helps it penetrate so you don't have mushy in the middle, over cured on the outside.

Four day bacon doesn't have a lot of balls in my experience. 7-10 days is kind of a sweet spot depending on volume/how the meat is cut.

i would think waste of a bag and doesn't it turn into a brine instead of a dry cure cause of the liquid seeped to the outside?
    guess i prefer a lighter flavor for house made bacon, but do hot smoke never tried cold method.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    i would think waste of a bag and doesn't it turn into a brine instead of a dry cure cause of the liquid seeped to the outside?
    guess i prefer a lighter flavor for house made bacon, but do hot smoke never tried cold method.
    now I'm curious to do a side-by-side...which is what I call an excuse for making another batch!

love that idea!

Hmmmm...I think I'm going to pull 1 of the 4 tonight to be my 4-day cure representative. However, since the others will remain sealed with the cure, I think the best way to do a 1:1 comparison would be to re-bag the 4-day after cleaning thoroughly...then let them all air-dry the same amount of time before smoking. Good idea?

I pulled one of the bellies last night so I can do a side-by-side comparison with the bellies that are cured 7-10 days (vs 4)...was very pleased to see that despite a very thorough washing to remove the cure, quite a lot of the spice mix was embedded into the fat.

Will do a side-by-side double-blind test once all of these are smoked.