Quantcast
Some thoughts on sausage making... - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some thoughts on sausage making...

Second pic, back row...what are those big mamma-jammas?!

Sorry, bumping an older thread, but didn't want to see the topic die out completely.

Must say the Rytek book was the first cooking book I personally ordered. It contained the recipes my Dad used for Italian sausage and Breakfast (fresh) sausage. They would do it every fall (usually on Apple Cup weekend while the Cougars played the Huskies). The whole family would get together and grind a 50/50 blend of deer and pork to make 40 to 50 lbs of bulk sausage. Always was and still is my favorite, so hopefully I'll get that on my list soon. Just need to read Mucho's post a couple more times, as well as his links.

Glad you did bump this. I have been making and smoking sausage for years and learned a few things from reading this.

I usually make the bulk of my sausage in winter where I can smoke at low temps, but do enjoy breakfast sausage....try using costco boneless chicken thighs semi frozen for the breakfast recipie....it's pretty darn surprising how good it is and a little bit healthier I suppose.

My son cooks them like hamburgers....of course a growing 17 year old will eat anything he can find.

I have still gotta get the hand crank grinder. I am getting more and more into meat grinding recently and I know the KA attachment is holding me back.

If anyone in the philly area ever wants to learn how to make sausage I'm the sous chef at a wurst haus and would be more then happy to have you come in and learn. We make tons of crazy house made sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by erickso1 View Post
    Sorry, bumping an older thread, but didn't want to see the topic die out completely.
    Thx for Bumping! Missed this one completely and, has happened so many times on this forum, I am amazed & thrilled at the time, effort and skill that people take to share their experience and knowledge ... Huge thanks to Mucho for such an awesome & helpfull thread! Also to all that replied, of course, but it definitely takes someone starting the conversation.

This has inspired me to get back into sausage making / been 10+ years / luckily I still have the equipment as I always knew I would want my boudin again, just it will likely be much better now and with all the links / thoughts hopefully I will make many more to choose from

Please keep those older threads bumps back to the 'here and now' going!

I have a packet of instant northern Thai sausage mix. Comes with the collagen casing apparently. I'll have to work on thaat sometime.

Awesome thread!