Quantcast
Carter Cutlery
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carter Cutlery

Carter Cutlery

Well, I'm not sure where to post this but I'm so pleased with my experience that I felt the need to share. To make a long story short, a Carter was never high on my priority list for a number of reasons. A friend of mine had a need for some cash in a hurry so I took over his spot for a custom order. I figured it would be a couple of good knives from white #1 with a junky handle. After several months of waiting, the knives arrived. One with a couple of mm of broken tip, which wasn't a big deal and a little chunkier than the other one which also wasn't a big deal but I sent a message describing my observations and gave some advice on how to pack knives, anyway. I'll just say that in what seems like no time at all, I had another knife, just the way I'd want it (other than the handle, lol) and packed in several layers of cardboard and tape (about 5 minutes worth of it). I got what I wanted and I took what I would characterize as a good natured shot over the packing comment. BTW, they might be the best cutters ever to grace my kitchen and the best chunk of change I've ever spent on a knife related toy.

Also, Jason (who I saw on here a while ago) was pretty cool, too.

As planned my latest Carter's are taking over the first string. The Mizuno is getting a little short and thick. One of the reason's I bought two Carter's. Increases the life span.

As much as I have criticized the fit and finish, I can't say anything bad about the performance of a Carter. Colin stated that his Carter's edges don't last that long in a pro environment so I wonder about the edge retention.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

I'm happy with my Funy's retention.

And I agree about the finish on those knives.

I have been a stickler as well over the fit and finish. But there is not denying that the suji i just got is one of the best cutters I have. also it sharpens up like a dream.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Whew, besides all the other misc Carter "stuff", i've said it a dozen times, his knives are probably my favorite to use. They would be among the last I would sell if I had to.
    Jason

Lol Colin didn't get a lot of life out of it? I wonder why that is? Did you ever see him cutting up tuna, or some king crab? I didn't know they made bowls that big.

I use my IP suji constantly. It is always a battle between it and my Heiji gyuto for first string. Gots ta love it!

More carter talk,I will have to say I LOVE AND MISS my carter.Lucky for me I have an extra one

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    More carter talk,I will have to say I LOVE AND MISS my carter.Lucky for me I have an extra one
    You don't understand how hard it was for me to hold back when you put that Carter for sale. That one was a beauty.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

+ Reply to Thread