Quantcast
Carter Cutlery - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carter Cutlery

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    You don't understand how hard it was for me to hold back when you put that Carter for sale. That one was a beauty.
    I would never sell my carter,I lent it to a budding knifemaker to study the grind.It truely is my go to knife.

Engorged Member
    Visited Tinh today and messed around with his Carter. I believe its a 7.7sun(240mm) funy. Shape and balance made me think it was a 210mm but its actually a 240mm. Blade geometry is really close to my 52100 ITK. Spine is thinner and tapers much more gradually than the ITK. It does have a crappy handle but is balanced well with it. Until you hold and see a Carter in person you miss the handmade-ness of the blade. Hammer marks and uneven cladding create a real organic product. This knife is the antithesis of a shun. Screw the handle, the finish of the blade, etc. Shun knives almost always seem big and clumsy in my hand. This knife is singular in purpose...

Pesky

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    I would never sell my carter,I lent it to a budding knifemaker to study the grind.It truely is my go to knife.
    For some reason, I thought you offered it for sale when you put up your KD. I guess I was mistaken.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    ...I believe its a 7.7sun(240mm) funy. Shape and balance made me think it was a 210mm but its actually a 240mm. ..
    ACTUALLY, it's a whopping 7.9 sun. You might think about bringing cut resistant gloves the next time you come by. In my experience, knives hold grudges and that's twice you've "short" changed that blade.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    ACTUALLY, it's a whopping 7.9 sun. You might think about bringing cut resistant gloves the next time you come by. In my experience, knives hold grudges and that's twice you've "short" changed that blade.
    Heheheheh. I've always just rounded things out in my mind... 1 sun is aproximately 3 cm, so 5 = 150, 7 = 210, 8 = 240, 9 = 270, etc. Not exact, but close enough that I can put the knife in it's correct category without having to think too hard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    Heheheheh. I've always just rounded things out in my mind... 1 sun is aproximately 3 cm, so 5 = 150, 7 = 210, 8 = 240, 9 = 270, etc. Not exact, but close enough that I can put the knife in it's correct category without having to think too hard about it.
    For those who are arithmetically challenged or, like me, can't count past ten without taking off my shoes, there is a length converter on Carter Cutlery's website:

http://www.cartercutlery.com/LengthConverter.html

Rick

Engorged Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    See what I mean? It's even bigger than I thought! I will need gloves if its "running blade" sharp. BTW, I went through 20lbs. of potatoes when I got home with the ITK. Pretty good edge.

Pesky