Carter Cutlery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure where to post this but I'm so pleased with my experience that I felt the need to share. To make a long story short, a Carter was never high on my priority list for a number of reasons. A friend of mine had a need for some cash in a hurry so I took over his spot for a custom order. I figured it would be a couple of good knives from white #1 with a junky handle. After several months of waiting, the knives arrived. One with a couple of mm of broken tip, which wasn't a big deal and a little chunkier than the other one which also wasn't a big deal but I sent a message describing my observations and gave some advice on how to pack knives, anyway. I'll just say that in what seems like no time at all, I had another knife, just the way I'd want it (other than the handle, lol) and packed in several layers of cardboard and tape (about 5 minutes worth of it). I got what I wanted and I took what I would characterize as a good natured shot over the packing comment. BTW, they might be the best cutters ever to grace my kitchen and the best chunk of change I've ever spent on a knife related toy.

Also, Jason (who I saw on here a while ago) was pretty cool, too.

As planned my latest Carter's are taking over the first string. The Mizuno is getting a little short and thick. One of the reason's I bought two Carter's. Increases the life span.

As much as I have criticized the fit and finish, I can't say anything bad about the performance of a Carter. Colin stated that his Carter's edges don't last that long in a pro environment so I wonder about the edge retention.

I'm happy with my Funy's retention.

And I agree about the finish on those knives.

I have been a stickler as well over the fit and finish. But there is not denying that the suji i just got is one of the best cutters I have. also it sharpens up like a dream.

Lol Colin didn't get a lot of life out of it? I wonder why that is? Did you ever see him cutting up tuna, or some king crab? I didn't know they made bowls that big.

I use my IP suji constantly. It is always a battle between it and my Heiji gyuto for first string. Gots ta love it!

More carter talk,I will have to say I LOVE AND MISS my carter.Lucky for me I have an extra one:D

More carter talk,I will have to say I LOVE AND MISS my carter.Lucky for me I have an extra one:D

You don't understand how hard it was for me to hold back when you put that Carter for sale. That one was a beauty.

You don't understand how hard it was for me to hold back when you put that Carter for sale. That one was a beauty.

I would never sell my carter,I lent it to a budding knifemaker to study the grind.It truely is my go to knife.

Visited Tinh today and messed around with his Carter. I believe its a 7.7sun(240mm) funy. Shape and balance made me think it was a 210mm but its actually a 240mm. Blade geometry is really close to my 52100 ITK. Spine is thinner and tapers much more gradually than the ITK. It does have a crappy handle but is balanced well with it. Until you hold and see a Carter in person you miss the handmade-ness of the blade. Hammer marks and uneven cladding create a real organic product. This knife is the antithesis of a shun. Screw the handle, the finish of the blade, etc. Shun knives almost always seem big and clumsy in my hand. This knife is singular in purpose...

Pesky

I would never sell my carter,I lent it to a budding knifemaker to study the grind.It truely is my go to knife.

For some reason, I thought you offered it for sale when you put up your KD. I guess I was mistaken.

...I believe its a 7.7sun(240mm) funy. Shape and balance made me think it was a 210mm but its actually a 240mm. ..
ACTUALLY, it's a whopping 7.9 sun. You might think about bringing cut resistant gloves the next time you come by. In my experience, knives hold grudges and that's twice you've "short" changed that blade. :headbonk:

ACTUALLY, it's a whopping 7.9 sun. You might think about bringing cut resistant gloves the next time you come by. In my experience, knives hold grudges and that's twice you've "short" changed that blade. :headbonk:

Heheheheh. I've always just rounded things out in my mind... 1 sun is aproximately 3 cm, so 5 = 150, 7 = 210, 8 = 240, 9 = 270, etc. Not exact, but close enough that I can put the knife in it's correct category without having to think too hard about it.

Heheheheh. I've always just rounded things out in my mind... 1 sun is aproximately 3 cm, so 5 = 150, 7 = 210, 8 = 240, 9 = 270, etc. Not exact, but close enough that I can put the knife in it's correct category without having to think too hard about it.

For those who are arithmetically challenged or, like me, can't count past ten without taking off my shoes, there is a length converter on Carter Cutlery's website:

http://www.cartercutlery.com/LengthConverter.html

Rick

See what I mean? It's even bigger than I thought! I will need gloves if its "running blade" sharp. BTW, I went through 20lbs. of potatoes when I got home with the ITK. Pretty good edge.

Pesky

Back