Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Modernist Cuisine worth it or should I get other free books?

Is Modernist Cuisine worth it or should I get other free books?

I recently received a $550 promotional credit from Amazon to be spent only on ebooks and print books. I was thinking cookbooks with focus on technique and the scientific aspects of cooking to get specific results. So my question is did Modernist Cuisine live up to the hype when first published? Is it an excellent textbook/reference manual? Is it worth the money? It's been two years for everyone to judge thoroughly. Or are there other better books I should consider? (Alton Brown, Blumental) If you suddenly had the opportunity to get free cookbooks what would you get?

My Favourite cookbook is Grand Livre de cuisine by Alain Ducasse, not scientific but its a beautiful book, I do also own The big fat duck book, and modernist cuisine, I like having modernist cuisine as a reference, but for me personally I prefer other cook books.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Mugaritz is excellent.

Eleven Madison, Under Pressure, Alinea are all good as well.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Modernist is great, but if you want to recreate any of the recipes youll need the full arsenal of modernist toys. Ill second 11MP, and Alinea. I will also add to the list Noma.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Feel free to tell me to pound sand, but how did you get a $550 promotional credit?
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by lanel View Post
    Modernist is great, but if you want to recreate any of the recipes youll need the full arsenal of modernist toys. Ill second 11MP, and Alinea. I will also add to the list Noma.
    I'll echo this. MC is a good set but if you dont have all the gear it'd just gather dust. MC @ home is probably you best bet if you are a home cook but having the whole set isnt bad. I'd also get Maximum Flavor if you are interested in modernist.

petersons sauces is a great book. alain ducasses book is great to look at. MC is great but i agree if you dont have all the equipment its just for future ideas.

flavor bible. la cucina the italian version is a great reference.
    larousse gastronomique is indispensable. escoffier is also indispensable

I will recommend ad Hoc by Keller if you have any leftover funds. I have MC and like it a lot.