Quantcast
soy sauce recommendations?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: soy sauce recommendations?

soy sauce recommendations?

hello I was wondering if anybody out there could recommend me some good soy sauces? I'm looking for both a cooking soy sauce and one to use for actually eating , dipping , ect.

right now I am using the lee kum kee because it was recommended by America's Test Kitchen. however I would like to branch out and try some of the more exotic Chinese or perhaps Japanese soy sauces .

I look forward to you experts chiming in with your recommendations!!

thanks

Moses

I don't know a ton about it...but I believe that for Japanese soy sauce you want to get something labeled "Tamari." That's all I got
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

We use Yamasa at home. Good all purpose brand.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+1 for Yamasa, tamari is wheat free soy sauce, and quality can vary brand to brand, if you have an asian grocer near you you would probably have more options than a regular supermarket.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Lately I have enjoyed using Kimlan aged soy sauce for Chinese and general Asian cooking and Shoda soy sauce for Japanese cooking. Wei chan is quite nice too.

I have found one thing for sure, buy a bottle of aged soy sauce, various brands out there.

My favorite is San-J Shoyu - great flavor, no extra preservatives. Only downside is that it ain't cheap and you can't buy it in large quantities really.

get the cheapest available.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    I completely disagree. I've tried more than several Chinese soy sauces and probably well over a dozen Japanese Shoyus. Get a good quality, balanced soy sauce or Shoyu, and check the use by date. Soy sauces (Chinese and Japanese) get bitter and saltier as they sit because they evaporate and get exposed to light and heat.

I also like Yamasa for Japanese Shoyu; but I really liked Kikkoman's Marudaizu that was available in a soft plastic container. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in a few months.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    The cheapest available isn't even soy sauce - it's salt, water, corn syrup, and food coloring. Soy sauce adds much more flavor than just salt.