Chipping on stainless blade

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Sinclair

Reaction score
Couple years ago I purchased a stainless cleaver from JWW. In the past I have mostly used carbon cleavers with success.

It was a Masahiro light pattern stainless clad high carbon stain resistant core. I paid around 75.00 at the time. As with my carbon thin vegetable cleavers I thinned close to the stone then kicked in a higher final bevel on each side.

When I used it micro chipped like crazy. So I sharpened again with higher bevels & it still chipped even on an end grain board could not believe it put an edge guard & threw it in a drawer. I would not even give it away, to me the steel was garbage.

About a week ago I was going through Tansu drawers & decided to give it another chance. After sharpening started using it no chipping at all. So started chopping again no chipping. I have used it for a couple meals so far so good. Any theories why this would happen? I was thinking maybe heat damage in the profile grinding had to get rid of the damaged steel. It is just a guess I have not experienced quite so dramatic of a change after a few sharpenings.

I have sharpened the same way for close to 30 years almost all carbon steel. I have never had this happen with carbon or stainless.

maybe fatigued steel on the initial edge? just a guess, but the only thing I can think of.

I guess so. I have sharpened many stainless for others new and old knives never had any complaints. I was surprised because it was a Japan blade. I almost threw it away, now glad I didn't. I guess edge steel can get fatigued in the grinding process.

This is a quote from Jon in a recent thread about chipped edges I think it's pretty relevant.

"consider this... thin edges during HT will heat up and cool down more quickly, causing that area to be harder and more brittle."

Back