Quantcast
New Balsa Strop, need your input - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Balsa Strop, need your input

Are these compounds safe on kitchen knives? Or do you wash them thoroughly after stropping?

I mostly use diamond spray (0.5 mu). At least it's not poisonous.

Cubic Boron Nitride, CBN, is harder than BC and is said to be the best for knife sharpening by a number who've tried it, allegedly even faster than diamond and leaving a better edge. US Products sells it rather inexpensive compared to what HA offers in other compounds. It comes fairly diluted even in the highest concentration offered, but allowing it to settle for a few days and pouring-off/siphoning the excess will get it good and concentrated. I'm still overthinking how I will use it so can't offer any opinion or advice on it at this time.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rick alen View Post
    Cubic Boron Nitride, CBN, is harder than BC and is said to be the best for knife sharpening by a number who've tried it, allegedly even faster than diamond and leaving a better edge. US Products
    That would be http://www.us-products.com/home.html. Thanks for the heads-up, Rick. I am thinking of moving from 1 micron to 5 or 10 micron - seems I like a more toothy edge, or is the substrate that really counts, like this hard balsa?

Boron, diamond, chromium and plain.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by GeneH View Post
    That would be http://www.us-products.com/home.html. Thanks for the heads-up, Rick. I am thinking of moving from 1 micron to 5 or 10 micron - seems I like a more toothy edge, or is the substrate that really counts, like this hard balsa?
    I don't know that the substrate matters much, accept in terms of convenience, and as I understand balsa cleans up easier than leather. I have a bunch of it left from my RC glider and power building days.

Rick

sorry for the repost