Japanese blades brand? Is this Yanagi worth buying?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there. I don't recognize the name on the blade face, and I notice that the blade steel is indicated as just "stainless steel". My inclination is to think that this isn't a particularly good example of a yanagiba.

That's what I was thinking too, the specs is just too simple. I actually wish to find it's website.

It's not cheap though,USD33.64. I'm planning to buy the 24cm one.:dontknow:

That's about 10% of what a good, serviceable, yanagiba will cost.

I love sushi and sashimi and have been eating it since the 70's. Since I've been cooking again and collecting knives I'm going to start making it at home. I did not want to spend allot on my first knife so I went with this one as a couple of sushi chefs said its not a bad knife. Once I get good at making it then I will surely upgrade my knife/knives :wink:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001B13NJM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used cheap Yanagi's years ago, were not very good knives. I have sharpened Shun & Mac Yanagi's. They do not hold a candle to my carbon Yanagiba's.The backside is either flat or very shallow.

If you want a shorter 240mm you can probably find a carbon Yanagi of better quality than those mass market cheap blades. The carbon will get extremely sharp which is what you want cutting sashimi.

Whilst 32 dollars does not a good yanagi make, suggesting that you need to spend north of 300 bucks to get something serviceable is ridiculous.

Yamawaku 270mm is $99 on ebay. This is a serious knife.

Or the Sakai Ichimonji 270mm in white #2, $140, Bluewayjapan.

Yes Tim that Sakai Ichimonji does seem like a decent blade, horn collar WS at a frugal price.

I think a no brainer is the Gesshin Uraku 270mm WS octagon handle at 200.00

So, these stuff are mass produced blades? I only interested in how they are made.

In my country, it's hard to import blades without having issues with the customs. So, I have no other choice.

Tojiro Shirogami Yanagi 240mm. Would this be a good beginners knife for sushi/sashimi ?

Back