Cutting onions horizontally - does it serve any purpose?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhpr262

Reaction score
I am only a home cook, but over the past few months I have watched quite a few knife skills videos on youtube because I wanted to improve my knife handling technique. One thing I noticed over and over again when I watched people cutting onions is that they do not only do the lengthwise cuts before the final crosswise "dicing" cuts, but also cut up the onion horizontally with two or three cuts, either before or after the lengthwise cuts.

Does this really help/improve the final result or is it just some thing that is handed down from one generation of cooks to the next without really questioning the effectiveness? If you consider the internal structure of the onion it is hard to see how it can accomplish anything positive. Actually, it wrecks the internal structure of the onion and makes it hold together less well when you do the fnal dicing cuts. You can even see the onion literally fall apart during the cutting process, and not in the good way.

It is a trade off. Instead of doing cuts that radiate from the center of the onion, like a clock, and having to change the angle of every cut. you can go 2-3 horizontal then all strait vertical. Then dice. It improves speed.

I'm sure someone can explain this better than myself.

I don't bother. If I'm concerned about consistency of dice, I do radial cuts.

If you just do vertical cuts, you will end up with long pieces of onion.

TqwOug0.png

I do one or two horizontal cuts, depending on size of the onion.
Not that I think it is all that needed per se, but it is fun using my tools for what they are worth:)

Radial cuts here too I find it is more economic and consistent.

great question, i've always wondered why people do that.
even if you do straight instead of radial cuts, you're still going to get weird looking pieces with the crisscrossing method. the horizontal is one extra step and for what??

i bet this guys onion dices are more consistent and uniform than those of you who mock this thread, check your egos at the door.

The picture in post #5 sums it up perfectly, if you use the vertical cut method the horizontal cuts will make your pieces more consistent. Although I agree if your not careful they can compromise the structure of the onion before making the final cuts.

depends on what you are using the onions for.

i'm also a home cook..but i wouldnt dice for onion soup. (as an example)...

for the record, i am not the best onion cutter.

Seriously, this is a timely topic for me as I've been thinking about onion cutting approach for a while.

I make my horizontal cuts before my vertical cuts. Not sure why the opposite is taught--vertical then horizontal?

I was taught to do horizontal first and then vertical.

I do horizontal, then vertical. I love doing the horizontal cuts - makes me feel very pro :) (I'm a home cook)

I also refrigerate my onions - no tears that way

Cheers,

J

I doubt any of the guys here have trouble with tears from the onions ;)

I'm all for the radial cuts too. Cutting across the onion always seems dangerous to me..

I thought so too at first, but keep your palm level with just gentle pressure, keep your edge level (and sharp!) and you're okay. If I want a fine mince, I'll do about 5 or 6 horizontal cuts no problems. Sometimes I get too eager though and I make things too fine :)

It seems to me that having to change the angle you're cutting at would actually be more work than just small height adjustments on horizontal cuts. That's based on just thinking about doing radial cuts on tomatoes...

Does it really matter if you do the horizontal cuts first or second? I've tried both and haven't noticed much difference.

I've always wondered what people mean by "consistent" when it comes to cutting onions. There really is no way to do it so that you get consistent dice. I probably saw one of Salty's videos and decided that was the coolest way to do it and I still like it. It makes me feel more alive, especially when I think about doing it blindfolded. :pardon:

I don't bother with the horizontal cuts. I find it to be a waste of time and energy. You always get flyers that don't stay in place and you end up chasing them around if you need everything perfect.

I took these pictures a long time ago (camera info says 2011) during a discussion with TK59 about how I cut onions.

I cut my onions in half and peel them. You can leave a bit of root or cut it off. Stack them side by side.

IMG_0776.JPG

Slice the half on the LEFT first, from right to left. The half on the right holds the pieces in place. You can obviously do this thinner if needed.

IMG_0777.JPG

Flip the onions around, so now the sliced one is holding the new slices from the whole one in place.

IMG_0778.JPG

All sliced.

IMG_0779.JPG

Radial cut each half.

IMG_0781.JPG

Done (one half).

IMG_0784.JPG

You generally don't get any pieces that differ that greatly from the others (looking back at these pictures, I did a pretty poor job overall) and its pretty fast when you get used to it. No strands of onion sticking out or flaring out or generally just being annoying. Everything is tight and neat and right where you want it.

Hmmm... I may have to brunoise all of the onions we have at work tomorrow to experiment, I just don't know how I'll explain a giant bucket of brunoise onions. ;)

Johnny your technique looks and sounds pretty consistent thanks for sharing I will definitely try it. lately I've been trying saltys method as the rapid horizontal slices are pretty fun

Hmm. I don't remember seeing those pics before. I guess the memory is getting worse... I'll have to try that (again?). :)

Thanks for the picture-tutorial, JohnnyChance!

I use radial cuts. If I'm really that bothered about all bits being the same size I'll roughly chop the whole lot again at the end

Back