Anyone tried the Masanobu VG-10?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wisew

Reaction score
I couldn't really find much after searching the forum - has anyone tried the Masanobu VG-10 from Korin? ( http://korin.com/Masanobu-VG-10-Gyutou_2?sc=27&category=280090 )

I just got back from a visit to Korin and was pleasantly surprised at how good the handle and the balance felt, although I really know nothing about its cutting performance, ease of sharpening, edge retention, geometry, or durability.

(At this point I'm comparing it to the western handled Gesshin Ginga and Kagero, which I unfortunately can't try out in person before I buy)

That was the first knife at korin that I fell in love with. But I never did get it - it was just too heavy and too expensive for what it was. VG10 blade. Wa- style handle. Sure, if you need the aesthetics, then don't let us stop you - but it's not like there's a lack of more interestingly materialed blades out there.

That was the first knife at korin that I fell in love with. But I never did get it - it was just too heavy and too expensive for what it was. VG10 blade. Wa- style handle. Sure, if you need the aesthetics, then don't let us stop you - but it's not like there's a lack of more interestingly materialed blades out there.

Yeah, same thing happened to me, but I had a feeling I wouldn't be getting my money's worth. I was curious though if anyone had it and found that it had badass performance, but maybe it's just a pretty face. :/ Oh well.

Back