To force, or not to force patina....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moderna

Reaction score
Got the Misono Swedish Steel Gyuto, used it a few times- and I noticed that it is, as expected, starting to discolor slightly.

Do I force the patina? Benefits? Cons?
(planning on using mustard, etc)

just use it as your main knife for ages and clean it a lot and eventually it will turn grey with random highlights of blue, purple, red and it will look awesome and become very unreactive

no matter! the natural patina will cover the force patina overtime anyway.
Benefits?......
first, reducing food reactive & chance of rust before the natural patina build up.
second, have fun & checking your artistic creation ability!:D

You can accelerate your natural patina developing with a couple onions. This is an adaptation of (I believe) Michael Rader's method. Cut your two peeled onions in half. Then make very thin (pole to pole) slices of the first half, making sure to use all sections of the blade. Wait a minute, then rinse the blade (you don't even need to use soap). Then cut the second half of the onion, and then wait two minutes, rinse. Cut third half, then wait three minutes, rinse, then fourth half and wait four minutes. That gives the patina a pretty good start and will make the knife less reactive, and over time, the patina will build further and it will become even less reactive.

You can accelerate your natural patina developing with a couple onions. This is an adaptation of (I believe) Michael Rader's method. Cut your two peeled onions in half. Then make very thin (pole to pole) slices of the first half, making sure to use all sections of the blade. Wait a minute, then rinse the blade (you don't even need to use soap). Then cut the second half of the onion, and then wait two minutes, rinse. Cut third half, then wait three minutes, rinse, then fourth half and wait four minutes. That gives the patina a pretty good start and will make the knife less reactive, and over time, the patina will build further and it will become even less reactive.

Thanks I just did that with my Shirogami Tojiro Nakiri

I've been rinsing with hot hot water while cutting chicken or onions and the results have been decent.

Why not just rubb the onion against the blade?

Now I'm retired I have forced a patina on some of my carbons because not using them everyday. Use 50/50 mustard & white Vinegar plus a little lemon juice.

Best results with an Artist sponge, like for textures eg. seascape rocks. Crates nice patterns on blade face.

I like playing around with things for forced patinas personally, but be careful of what you use depending on your desired results. My first forced patina was just vinegar on a cleaver and it was just a very dull flat grey until I stripped it. I've forced patterns and whatnot on it since using things like the onion method above, but they eventually fade into a natural patina that I personally prefer.

Back