What sort of knife is this? Purchased from Yasushige, Kyoto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holiday

Reaction score
Hi! Good friend purchased this knife for me from Yasushige in Kyoto. Can anyone identify what sort of knife this is? It's about 280mm, bevelled on both sides and apparently made of Swedish steel? The shop owner also mentioned that the blade material is too hard to engrave anythig on it.

If someone has any pointers as to which sharpening stones are good with this knife do tell as well.

Many thanks.

Looks like a suisin inox to me, same as this sold by JKI
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/suisin-inox-western-210mm-gyuto.html

It's a Gyuto which is the Japanese equivalent to a western chefs knife

As far as stones go a 1000/6000 combo will suffice, but if you want to delve deeper there are plenty of other options

Thanks for the quick reply and the tip! The knife cost JPY24,000 for those that are curious.
It's the longest knife I'll own too, and it looks like it'll be fun using it. I did suspect that it was a gyuto too but the shape looks funny on the upper portion - is this an unusualy shaped version?

looks quite ordinary to me for a gyuto. The "hump" at the end of the blade seems a bit pronounced but it will give you a stronger tip

yea looks like the sakai takayuki for sure handle shape is different on suisin

yea looks like the sakai takayuki for sure handle shape is different on suisin
Thanks, it does look very much like the sakai takayuki, but hard to tell as (strangely) the blade has no name or engravings on it.
Hopefully it wasn't too overpriced too!

the choil's "profile" on the takayuki is angled whereas the unknown knife's choil is square. the shape of the handle butt isn't the same either.

I have visited the Yasushige shop in Kyoto. The blacksmith there definitely doesn't use cheap steel! His knives are made "the old way" with high grade swedish steel :)

Definitely recommended... Damn sharp but extremely tough to hone!

photo_40.jpg

Double or single bevel? As a first impression I say this looks like a western style deba...

Nice find btw!

Double or single bevel? As a first impression I say this looks like a western style deba...

Nice find btw!

Finally it's in my hands! It's really nice with a good balance too for it's size, never had a knife this long before.
It's double bevel, and it's already pretty sharp so I won't be sharpening it just yet.

Back