Tojiro DP or JCK Kagayaki Basic?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhpr262

Reaction score
Which one would you rate superior? I already own a Tojiro DP 240mm gyuto (two actually, couldn't resist the price for the second one:laugh:) and I am currently wondering if I should buy a JCK Kagayaki Basic. It costs quite a bit more, is it also the better knife? F&F on my first DP was poor but good on the second, can I expect similar variations with the JCK? Which blade is better when it comes to edge retention and sharpness?

Also, if the JCK is not really worth it - would the Hiromoto AS gyuto be worth the premium over the Kagayaki?

Steel performance is more important to me than looks or minor finish issues.

Very, very tough to say, for sure. But, in my experience with the Kagayaki knives from JCK (not the basic), Hiromoto AS, and the DP, I'd have a tough time deciding between the Hiro AS and Kagayaki.

The JCK knives have beautiful F and F, in my experience, and are well made and thought out knives. I've liked VG1 in my encounters with it, just as well as VG10, so that's a non-factor to me (DP, vs KAGAYAKI). I'd have to get another Kagayaki in my hands to be 100% in my decision, but I'd say Hiro an Kagayaki are close in terms of quality, with the cuttin going to Kagayaki, by a small margin, and the steel going to the Hiromoto. They are both really nice, but why not try a carbo core on for size, with the Hiromoto? :)

tojiro dp steel is pretty good stuff, what exactly are you looking to gain?

I'm basically just looking to add to my collection ... I am considering a smaller knife, 210mm or so and couldn't decide between a DP and a JCK Basic. If the F&F is generally as good as Lefty says and the steel on a par with the DP the higher price might be worth it. Wouldn't have been worth it with inferior steel.

Also I already have two DPs like mentioned ...

Maybe I'll go with a 210mm JCK Basic for finer work and a 240mm Hiromoto as a I'd like to try out a carbon core. No more DPs for me then.

I'd go for the carbonext over the basic, tbh

Can you elaborate? What does the carbonext have over the stainless knives? I really like almost every carbon knife I've had over stainless, but some folks claim there is a taste when used with certain foods.

I have 2 Tojiro DP and am also looking for a second set of knives - not sold on the DP as the best. Sent one back back because be belly was...over ground?... leaving a gap. Also the pair I have seem a little chippy they way I use them on a plastic board, so needed a almost microbevel. That might just be my lack of sharpening skills too. I plan on passing the different brands/steels to my kids so we all have a chance to try the different ones, so this thread is perfect timing....need to double check, did I start this thread of is someone on my same wave here. Maybe a aluminum foil hat is in my future... just sayin'.

:biggrin:

Love my hiro as. Cant wait to pick up a bigger one and send it to dave for a spa.

The carbonext is stain resistant steel. If you like to freehand, can get them very sharp. For the money it is good choice.

The Hiromoto with AS core is a good way to get into carbon. Like 210 thin, more expensive the Kohetsu Aogami Super 210mm only 4.2oz. Nice to have one thin knife in your quiver. What kind of Motorcycles do you ride over there?

I already have a CarboNext, a 270mm gyuto so I'll probably go with the Hiromoto. I have sharpened a carbon OPINEL folding knife a few times and the feel on the stones and the achievable sharpness is pretty good.

Btw I ride a Suzuki Bandit 1250 Naked. Pretty big and heavy bike, actually a bit too much so for my taste. I used to ride a GS 500 but at 6'3'' I looked like the proverbial monkey on a grindstone on it (you know it's bad when even you mother tells you you look funny, lol). I usually just do a lap or two on my favourite roads around here but occasionally do longer trips (and post them on advrider where I hang out whenever I'm not on the KKF http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=912758)

Back