Quantcast
Lamb : Colorado, NZ, Aussie - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lamb : Colorado, NZ, Aussie

Anderson Ranch in Brownsville Oregon does some amazing lamb. They are online at www.oregonlamb.com and offer any cut you want of delicious grass fed lamb.
    Just because they make it in your size doesn't mean you should wear it...

This is what I am hearing John, but what do you think shipping would be like all the way across the US
    ?

I buy Australian lamb it's free range, grass fed and has better flavor than the US lamb I've had. Same with beef I like the fillet and rib eyes from the same company. It's cheaper too go figure. I cannot afford locally raised meats the city people have seen to that.

For the most part Costco ... is always available, cost is lower and has a more pronounced lamb flavor / I do check the cryo-vac dates though FWIW ... Lamb from the US has been disappointing, for the most part, due to lack of flavor and $$ - although I did love the lamb from Pure Bread Lamb which I had several times when I was hell bent on cooking through the Laundry cookbook many years ago / not cheap though ...

The NZ lamb I've had (in NZ) was excellent but haven't sourced it in the US ...

Will look at all of the ref(s) here as going local (although not sure if the Left Coast of the US is truly that much more local ...) is a great idea.

BMB

Local grass fed shanks are the best I have found. Costco for boneless leg is good as well.

Is there a difference in the flavor between them? Everyone I know loves lamb but I've not quite developed a fondness for it. The only time I really appreciated it was when I'd get the spicy lamb skewer kabob from the fish and chips place when I lived in England lol. If there's a difference in taste, it might be worth it to try.

Erilyn, I am not too fond of lamb either, I know other people are and love it, I have read ranging opinions, that the Colorado is less lamby or gamey I guess than the NZ or Aus kind?

Holler Namaxy! Jamison from Latrobe, PA is what we use at Zaytinya. It's close to us here in DC. His lamb is tender, rich and amazingly consistent.

Some eye openers in this thread!

I've got sheep running around in the field next to my garden (Vale of Glamorgan in Wales - farming country), but to get one of those on my plate costs more than buying New Zealand imported stuff, even going straight to the farmer (my neighbour). I understand the economics, but that still strikes me as weird.

My favourite is salt marsh from down the road in The Gower near Swansea, but the price of that has taken a big hike since it got 'trendy' a couple of years back. The last lot I bought was Welsh lamb from Costco, and I have to say it was very good.

Going off on a tangent here. Why is it so difficult to get lamb shoulder? Plenty of leg, racks, shanks and loin chops available, but shoulder is difficult to find. I usually have to purchase thinly cut shoulder steaks when available.

+ Reply to Thread