A few flea market finds

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeHL

Reaction score
For your consideration, some vintage steel picked up in NYC.

reHM1Kd.jpg

First is a couple small carving knives

a Lamson

sl78K4M.jpg

and a unknown maker

ISsIvcy.jpg

and a F dick ? bullnose butcher knife, the spine is super thick its more like a machete.

C4wNyf0.jpg

y7j269T.jpg

Those are awesome finds! I love antique and vintage cutlery.

I think I have the fork to one of your knives there. These belonged to my husbands great (great?) grandma.

d7e03a868a6a377db7b103dcd067ff82.jpg

Hi OP,

My name is SixCats! and I am new to these forums as of today 8/7/2014. I joined this (unknown to me) excellent site after doing a GOOGLE search on Historical "Flatware" and found your pictures. I too am a big fan of the type of items you've posted. At this time, I am unable to post pictures and I hope to have this technical issue corrected in the future. That being said, I have collected about a dozen or so nice examples of circa mid 1800's Forks and Knives, mostly with either Bone or Wood slabs/handles and pinned. I don't know why but.....there is just....."something" I love about these old implements of eating. My favorite vintage knife thus far is an awesome quality made LAMSON GOODNOW with Bone handles and pins. It's Blade, Bolster, and (full tang) is ONE solid forged (I believe forged) piece of steel. I also have some nice Wood handle/pinned knives (and Fork) with Pewter inlay (Acorn) that is pretty darn cool. In addition, I have a mess of old/vintage Carbon Butcher Knives, Meat Cleavers, BIG Beef Splitter, Lamb Splitter, etc. I'm a bit "out of control" when I find the above listed items at "Flea Markets, Yard Sales, Thrift Shops, etc." Thanks for posting your pictures OP.

Regards,
SixCats!

Hi OP,

My name is SixCats! and I am new to these forums as of today 8/7/2014. I joined this (unknown to me) excellent site after doing a GOOGLE search on Historical "Flatware" and found your pictures. I too am a big fan of the type of items you've posted. At this time, I am unable to post pictures and I hope to have this technical issue corrected in the future. That being said, I have collected about a dozen or so nice examples of circa mid 1800's Forks and Knives, mostly with either Bone or Wood slabs/handles and pinned. I don't know why but.....there is just....."something" I love about these old implements of eating. My favorite vintage knife thus far is an awesome quality made LAMSON GOODNOW with Bone handles and pins. It's Blade, Bolster, and (full tang) is ONE solid forged (I believe forged) piece of steel. I also have some nice Wood handle/pinned knives (and Fork) with Pewter inlay (Acorn) that is pretty darn cool. In addition, I have a mess of old/vintage Carbon Butcher Knives, Meat Cleavers, BIG Beef Splitter, Lamb Splitter, etc. I'm a bit "out of control" when I find the above listed items at "Flea Markets, Yard Sales, Thrift Shops, etc." Thanks for posting your pictures OP.

Regards,
SixCats!

SixCats, You can post photos you upload to photo sites such as picasa/flickr/photobucket to this site by URL. You have to be a site suporter to upload photos for storage on the forum server. From the support sub-forum:

Subject: Subscription - Supporting Member

Advantages: Direct uploading of images from your local computer with no limit, (8x +) the regular member PM limits, member pictures albums available, larger avatar size, and support of KKF

Cost: $30

Term: 1 year

HTH!
Z

Glad to share Sixcats. I use imgur for all my pictures uploads. Do you ever use your vintage cutlery and flatware to eat with ? I was considering sharping the Lamson and using it as a fruit knife lol.

I looking foreword to your pictures of your flatware and cutlery.

Hi Mike,

Presently, I am not using my vintage cutlery/flatware to eat but......my dream is to set up an "off grid" Cabin/Hunting Camp type place here in Maine and use this flatware
(and other items) the way they were meant to be used. I have several old Chef Knives/Kitchen type knives that I want to use as well. I'm a BIG fan of 18th. Living History.
I have to have this new computer set up for photos when I get a chance.

Regards,
SixCats!

Back