• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FS (from EU): Kazuyuki Tanaka 210mm R2 damascus gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matus

Staff member
Global Moderators
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

for sale is Tanaka R2 damascus gyuto with 210mm blade. It was made by Kazuyuki Tanaka (father of Shigeki Tanaka who continues forging Tanaka knives toda) who died a few years ago.

Introduction:
I got this knife from member on this forum about 6 months ago, At that point the knife was practically unused.

There are 3 reasons why I sell this knife:
- This knife is incredibly light and thin - a true laser, but I realised that I would like to get a more of "workhorse" blade.
- I often used this knife to slice meats and found the 210mm blade a little on the short side.
- And since in the very next days I will pick up my new custom Haburn gyuto this one needs to go as I do not intend to collect knifes and need to recover some cash. My rule is - all kitchen knives we have need to fit our magnetic bad :)

Condition:
I tried to do my best with the photos (please see below), but here is my opinion. The knife has been sharpened by myself 5 or 6 times - only to touch up the edge with 2000 and 6000 stones. I was not doing any thinning (there is nothing to thin anyhow :) ). There are faint scratches close to the edge that resulted during sharpening. There is only 1 or two faint marks on the damascus. The Handle is in perfect condition - I treated it regularly with mixture of mineral oil and bee's wax.

I do my best to describe the knife, but please do not hesitate to ask questions.

Technical details:
- blade length (heel to tip): 212mm
- handle length: 128mm
- total length: 351mm
- weight: 131g
- blade width at the heel: 49mm
- blade thickness (at the handle): 2.7mm
- blade thickness (at the heel): 2.6mm
- blade thickness (1/2 way towards the tip): 1.8mm
- blade thickness (1cm from the tip): 0.6mm

The blade is made out of R2 (SG2) stainless steel core clad with stainless steel damascus which is deeply etched with very strong contrast - it feels '3D' when you touch it.

The handle is from beautiful hard rosewood. I am not 100% sure about the ferule - it does not seem to be buffalo horn, but some very hard black wood. The handle feels great in hand - it is without question the best wa handle I have ever had.

Sharpening:
This is so far my only knife from PM steel - I have expected steel that will be hard tp sharpen. That is definitely not the case. It takes 10 strokes on Gesshin 2000 to raise a burr. The knife is easy to sharpen and rather easy to de-burr.

In use:
Food stiction is average (the blade is VERY thin - not much room left for more complicated profiles), cuts very well and holds the edge quite long. Please take the edge holding with grain of salt - I have used this knife rather little and do not have any other gyuto to compare to. The knife slices meet with ease and falls through onions. And it is feather light in hand.

Price & shipping:
400€ + shipping. Do not hesitate to make me an offer.

Exact shipping cost on request, but it will be with DHL so even with full insurance it should be up to about 15€ for EU and less for Germany. Local pickup is possible (in Aalen).

I am located in Germany so this sale may be of particular interest to EU KKF members as there are no import duties to be payed (I took care of that before on your behalf ;) )

Please - no trades - I need the cash :)

Now the photos: (please follow the links for much larger versions)

The right side:

The left side:

The tip and the sharpening marks:

The heel and the bolster:

Bolster and blade:

Coil and blade profile:

Spine 1:

Spine 2:

Faint scratch on the damascus:

This is somewhat of a unicorn of mine. If I didn't just pick up a konosuke white #2 Damascus gyuto id be pressing to get this. Good luck

I forgot to mention that the knife will come with original box (I will post photos later), but there is no saya.

So - where are all those questions? :)

Hi, Matus, i must say these are the best blade shots i've seen at this forum. Did you use a macro lens? Which lens and camera? Is there a chance that you include a choil shot? Beautiful knife, by the way.

Hi Marcelo,

thank you for your kind words. I have used my Nikon V1 and 18.5/1.8 lens which is a "normal" lens, not a macro one, but it focuses close enough for this type of photography. I have also used the NB-7 flash which I bounced off a wall or ceiling. That helps a lot. I also used window light (open shade, no direct sun). I used RAW (to get rid of surprisingly strong barrel distortion the 18.5 lens has) files with only basic processing in Lightroom (contrast, brightness, WB, crops).

There is a choil shot above - at least that is what I understand under choil shot. Or would you like to see it from a different angle?

Oops, you are absolutely right. By the way, your choil shot was the one i liked most. I meant a choil shot taking the bevel with the focus at the tip of the blade, if it's not too much trouble. Congrats for your knive, it's very nice!

After I removed the Tanaka from the knife bar few days ago, my loving wife asked me today: "where is that beautiful knife gone?". I answered: "I need to sell it to recover some cost of the new one (Haburn)". Then she looks at me as not being satisfied with the sale.

So guys, of you want to get this one do not let it hang out too long - I may be 'forced' to remove it from the sale :)

380€ shipped insured anywhere in the world.

365€ shipped insured anywhere in the world. (That is just 1€ per day of the first year of ownership, after that for free :D )

Still interested in that Carter funayuki :)

Back