Looking for a Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrap

Reaction score
I've been curious about nakiris for a while now and finally have the chance to pick one up myself, but after looking around in the lower end for a while I've found a lot more to choose from than I expected, so I'd like to know what KKF has to recommend

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Nakiri

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Wa handle - Western handles on J knives makes me uncomfortable

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
Not sure, Nakiris are a lot shorter so I'm not really sure what to expect of any size..

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
I am almost completely unfamiliar with stainless and hope to stay that way (no)

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
roughly $150 though i'm interested in anything $50+ depending on quality

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Both

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Assorted vegetable cutting

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
I have nothing this is a stand in for, though maybe the fact that I'm pretty used to a chinese cleaver is worth noting?

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch and occasionally point

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Push cut, slice

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
(edge retention would be nice given the volume I handle, something that takes a nice edge and will be usable for years, minimal sticking would be nice given how I plan to use it)
Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
Call me crazy but I don't care for damascus, though some other finishes like KU or hammered finishes are nice, but I can deal with anything really.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
I have small hands, though I doubt this is an issue with any wa handle. I like heavy knives but I'm thinking that misses the point of a nakiri. wood handles are nice.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
food release and less wedging - whatever I can get that'll keep me from having to stop cutting to fiddle with stray ingredients.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Good edge retention is nice, as long as I can get givent my other parameters

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
yep - synths and end grain boards
Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes
If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
Yes, but that's just a permanent condition and holds no place in this thread

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I can't recommend the seller totally because of the way they ship, but my Yamawaku (stamp on the knife reads "Toshihiro" or "Akihiro") nakiri from 330mate impressed me quite a bit when I first took it out of the box. I'm about 80% sure it's the same maker of a few other more (sometimes much more) expensive knife lines by other vendors, though because of the nature of these fora, I'm inclined to only explain in PM.

I would like to try the Akifusa/Asai model mkriggen linked to; I have the stainless-clad model and it was a bit of a disappointment, especially for the price.

Another one to consider might be a Gassan nakiri from a vendor I'm not supposed to mention here. They seem very promising, and I'm tempted to grab one, though I'd like to find a more local vendor to avoid crazy shipping fees.

You could try out a KIWI Nakiri first just to see if you like the blade shape at all and it suits your technique. It costs just a few dollars.

I tried a Chinese cleaver for 15$, that was all it took to convince me I didn't like it.

I bought a Tanaka VG10 nakiri (also available in blue #2) to see whether I'd like a nakiri. Turns out I like the shape a lot so I recently acquired a Watanabe Pro (18cm). That knife blows me away every time I use it.

I have one of the Maskage's nakiri's and it's light and thin. I love the performance very much. Since I dont use it that to often and usually for short period of time, I value the thinnest and the ease it goes through food with.

You could try out a KIWI Nakiri first just to see if you like the blade shape at all and it suits your technique. It costs just a few dollars.

I tried a Chinese cleaver for 15$, that was all it took to convince me I didn't like it.

Those Kiwi versions of the nakiri are way too thin and flexible for my taste. A real Japanese knife will have a much stiffer blade. Not sure it is a fair comparison.

I actually already have the kiwi "Nakiri" thanks to a local international grocer with buckets of kiwi knives for spare change. It's a fun little knife to play with but the flex to the blade means it has a few ticks the Nakiri wouldn't have. Either way I like the geometry/ blade shape fine so far an given my tendency to reach for a cleaver I imagine I'd enjoy a Nakiri a lot

Yamawaku. can't beat it for the money

But will it be worth my while to go above that? Iron cladding makes me a bit uneasy but if these are all they're cracked up to be I might just have to look past that.

What about Kochi or Zakuri? Those fall at or under the $200 mark and are both kurouchi carbon blades.

Yamawaku is Kochi/Itinomonn-class. I have more to say on the subject but don't want to get jumped on.

Zakuri is a few steps down in fit and finish but is pretty unreactive and may be a great cutter.

Back