Quantcast
Restoring Knives?

Thread: Restoring Knives?

Restoring Knives?

I've yet to see much on the subject of how one might differently handle sharpening a knife that no longer even has a beveled edge (the condition I find most knives in), and I'm curious as to how all of you handle entirely replacing a knife's edge. Any tips on setting up a knife to work better for someone who you know won't sharpen it would be appreciated too - I've had to do this to nearly 30 knives myself so far, so I'm thinking I need to learn more about what I'm doing.

Plenty of talk on this subject. Just start with a low grit stone or a diamond plate. Maybe a belt grinder if available. For people who won't sharpen, maybe leave it with a toothier edge or teach them how to properly use a ceramic rod at least.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

+1 with ThEory. On inexpensive knives, I do much of the work on belts sanders before putting a final edge on with stones. It's fast. If you're just doing a couple knives, I'd start with a coarse stone or diamond plate and finish with a 1 or 2 k stone on most knives.

Yup another +1...when friends ask me to sharpen their cheaper knives with non existent edges I set the new bevels on a diamond plate to save my stones then use regular progression but leaving a toothy edge

If a knife is that worn down, wouldn't it need fair thinning too?

If were are talking abt cheap stamped blades, most of them are already somewhat thin and the edge retention is already poor. I personally see it's being a waste of time to thin. But by all means it can be done if desired.

These ARE mostly stamped/low end knives, plus a few of the overpriced brand you'd find at any Williams Sonoma. Thinning isn't really an issue and quite frankly isn't something I care to take the time for on these knives. I feel I should clarify for now that my current go-to is a pair of fairly low grit diamond stones, as I see no point in letting anything that got in that shape to begin with near my water stones. On a related note, would restoring a blunted tip be roughly the same as sharpening one in good shape? One of my own knives really needs this, but it being a 100+ year old knife I've been reluctant to just have at it until I grind in a new tip.